Which version of Windows XP is best for me?

rocket1406

In Runtime
Which version is best for my home computer?

Windows XP Home? OEM , Retail ?
or Windows XP Pro? OEM, Corp, or Retail?

It's a family computer. We use it for minor games, word processing, and Internet (Internet is shared over a router).

It is a Compaq Presario 5330US, Intel Pentium 4 1.7 GHz with 512 MB SDRAM, 80 GB Hard Drive.

OEM is orignal equipment mancufacturer and retail is just retail. OEM is usually cheaper, but there's always something nice that comes with retail, so I dunno. I just say OEM-cheaper.. .lol.

Original Equipment from Manufacturer (OEM) is just that, the equipment. It comes with no accessories and usually no manual or other documentation of any kind. So an OEM copy of Windows would be a disc in a sleeve with a registration number sticker on it. A retail copy comes in a box with an installation guide and whatever else they include. Retail is generally more expensive since it has more stuff. Also, retail is what you'll find at most stores like Best Buy or any retail store (hence 'retail'). You usually can only find OEM stuff online or at specialty shops like those mom and pop computer places.

I recommend XP Pro. It seems to be a bit more stable and customizeable, but both versions are pretty much the same for home use. It's personal preference. Oh yeah, Home has a green loading bar and Pro has a blue one. That can be the tiebreaker decision, hehe.

As a side note, I've noticed that OEM CPUs tend to be MORE expensive than retail. Anyone know why this is? Please answer briefly as I don't want to hijack this thread.

Back
Top Bottom