setting up a LAN

what appears to be the problem, I'm no expert, but I'll try and help, when posting a new thread, it helps if you post lots of information about your problem

well...what kinda trouble you haveing? do you know how? or do you need the whole walkthrough?? these are questions that others would ask cuz all i know for you to do is either make an ethernet connection or wireless network and run the wizards :D but others more informed shoudl be along shortly

well... i'd like a walkthrough because definately what im doing isnt working...

id like to have a wired ethernet cord between me and brothers computer...

i have ran the wizards and nothing has seemed to work

could u help me?

are you sure you're using a crossover CAT 5 if you're not using a switch or hub? A crossover is just one cable, usually when networking computers, you need a switch or hub, with a crossover (it only works between 2 computers), just one cable, rather than a hub as well.

^^betting thats no help
thats all I can offer, I know little about networking

To get you LAN working you need either a crossover cable or a switch/hub. With a switch/hub you will be able to have future expansion. With a a crossover cable only 2 computers can be linked together. You stated you used an "ethernet cable". Usually ethernet cable is used as cat5 so you would need a switch or hub to connect you two. I would suggest buying a crossover cable for only 2 computers and a switch/hub for more than one. To connect the computers with the crossover cable just plug the RJ-45 ends(connectors) into your network cards and windows xp should recognize them. For a switch/hub you plug your main internet cable into an uplink port on the switch/hub(most uplink ports labeled) and then you plugg in your other cables as needed.
The cable you are probably using right now is cat5... this means that the computers don't recognize they are connecting to each other. Crossover cable was made specially for the connection of the two. To test you cable out try using this cable to run your internet from. If the cable works then you have the wrong cable for your LAN. If it doesn't work then perhaps you have a hardware issue.

Back
Top Bottom