Intel or AMD

Techy Geek said:
nah, im going to uni too, theres thousands and thousands in there, a lot whatever happens, and anyway, we could do with a new computer, the other desktop is appalling, 256mb RAM Intel Pentium 4 1.5 ghz 40 gigs Hard Drive, not very good, so this new one is gonna kick ass and last for years

I do intend to rival your computer Darkblade, however, I am not going to get such a good GPU, theres no point, I dont game, have you got any suggestions for a good GPU thats about £100. Thanks for that correction, you can walk me through the configs if you want to

Even if you get the dual core Pentium4 840EE processor, you will be 40%-60% behind my performance barriers at stock levels, and I am OCed as well. That won't be easy to do with that malfunctional logics processor man. You really should go with an AMD AthlonX2, as they SMASH INTEL, even in multitasking this round. Here, don't believe me?

Power Consumption And Costs

Intel AMD
No Load
Power consumption 182 W 161 W
Consumption per year 1594 kWh 1410 kWh
Cost per year (at 8.5 cents per kWh) $135.49 $119.85
Full Load (including graphics)
Power consumption 342 W 269 W
Consumption per year 2995 kWh 2356 kWh
Cost per year (at 8.5 cents per kWh) $254.58 $200.26
Full Load (without graphics)
Power consumption 295 W 228 W
Consumption per year 2584 kWh 1997 kWh
Cost per year (at 8.5 cents per kWh) $219.64 $169.75

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-02.html
READ THAT CAREFULLY. THE AMD IS STABLE WITH THE NVIDIA CHIPSETS WHILE THE INTEL IS NOT, and its cost in Multithreaded applications doesn't outweigh its performance in them.

* Data compression with WinRAR: AMD system has 29.5% better performance;
* MP3 encoding of the CD: AMD system has 4.7% better performance;
* DivX encoding of the DVD: AMD system has 28.2% better performance;
* 3D game Farcry: AMD system has 21.4% better performance.

OUCH... that hurts... Intel.. ouch.. how does that shard of AMD glass in your foot feel??? OUCH... MP3 encoding?? Isn't that Intel's last stand, audio encoding, oh yes.. it was.. ouch... :D

MORE OUCHES...
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-05.html

Do you really want to pay that HUGE price for the EE chip, the ONLY Dual core Pentium with HT??? I think not.. the AMD slaughters it.. go with an AMD AthlonX2 man.. I don't need to prove this anymore. AMD beats Intel in AUDIO ENCODING, the ONLY test Intel had left! Its OVER.

It is funny that you should post that particular article there from THW.
because the report is in relation to shuting down the HT aspects of Intel to make the tests..but if a person reads further on he finds that when the HT is turned back on the and This is a QUOTE from THW
"In all four applications, the AMD system surpasses the competition from Intel when it comes to performance. Here it is clearly obvious what benefits virtual multiprocessing brings to the Intel system - with hyperthreading turned on, and with the same test conditions, the Intel system puts the AMD system in its place."

That is quite the same as saying that we will run a test on the performanc of a race car compared to a stock from the dealer car. But to run the test we must first dismantle all the things that make the race car unique and then hold the tests. of course it will lose. But you don't buy the race car to turn off its high performance stuff to operate.

Just like with a chip you buy it as a whole to perform as it was designed and with the intel HT utilized as it was designed to be used comes out .....
very funny how people take things completely out of context to prove a point

> there is no real arguement as to what is the best to get. The best to get is what you can afford to pay for which will perform the services that you need performed. The run down is that with multitasking as in office and graphic design and the likes that need the extra shove in that direction then Intel is the chip( although it is higher cost and the likes and does run hotter) you build the systen to account for those things. If you wish to just play games and have a lower budget. then AMD would be the best for you. There is no question here on that.
The new Nvidia SLI cards were actually designed around an amd chip
That is no biggy to the articulation that Intel has a bit of an issue with them...The thing is that there are plenty of other cards out there that will perform just as well with Intel chips.
Don't be thrown by the negativity about Intel it is more based on personal beliefs and opinions than anything else...Put it into the same situation as the figt between Microsoft and Linux for what is the best operating system... same garbage...it just depends on what you are looking for<

lurkswithin said:
It is funny that you should post that particular article there from THW.
because the report is in relation to shuting down the HT aspects of Intel to make the tests..but if a person reads further on he finds that when the HT is turned back on the and This is a QUOTE from THW
"In all four applications, the AMD system surpasses the competition from Intel when it comes to performance. Here it is clearly obvious what benefits virtual multiprocessing brings to the Intel system - with hyperthreading turned on, and with the same test conditions, the Intel system puts the AMD system in its place."

That is quite the same as saying that we will run a test on the performanc of a race car compared to a stock from the dealer car. But to run the test we must first dismantle all the things that make the race car unique and then hold the tests. of course it will lose. But you don't buy the race car to turn off its high performance stuff to operate.

Just like with a chip you buy it as a whole to perform as it was designed and with the intel HT utilized as it was designed to be used comes out .....
very funny how people take things completely out of context to prove a point

Read before you post. I DID SAY, WHY WOULD HE PAY FOR THE 840EE to get a bit more performance from the ONLY HT enabled dual core Intel chip?? ah, so you don't read. Sry.... maybe I should make it clearer. Hang on while I quote and BOLD something in my quote to show you. One sec.

DarkBlade said:
Do you really want to pay that HUGE price for the EE chip, the ONLY Dual core Pentium with HT??? I think not.. the AMD slaughters it.. go with an AMD AthlonX2 man.. I don't need to prove this anymore. AMD beats Intel in AUDIO ENCODING, the ONLY test Intel had left! Its OVER.

Ah, so now you might understand. Geez.. read my post..

I did read your post DB.. the point was that I was refering to your other post and how you obviously took the THW article out of context to prove what is becoming a very obvious biased point of view.

lurkswithin said:
I did read your post DB.. the point was that I was refering to your other post and how you obviously took the THW article out of context to prove what is becoming a very obvious biased point of view.

Of course my opinion is biased Lurks... AMD is far better then Intel in EVERY ASPECT. If he plans to spend a bit less on the non EE chip which runs cooler and uses MUCH LESS power and can run for long periods of time without MANY restarts, it will NOT have HT technology. AMD in that case, SLAUGHTERS Intel. Need I point out my post yet again, because I refuse to type it again here. HOWEVER, since you are such a totalitarian MOD and deleted my INFO filled post which had LEGITAMENT data refering to why AMD is superior to Intel, I will be reporting you to David. I am tired of you Lurks, you are so uptight about this. My post had SCIENTIFIC HARD FACT, and yet you editted it without consulting David. David read that post this morning, and he was fine with it. You have overstepped your boundries for the last time Lurks. It took me almost 30 mins to make that post. I do not take lightly to people editting my scientific data as to why Intel is flawed and AMD is far superior in a technological standpoint. Thanks for playing the game, YOU LOSE.

I editted your post because you again violated the forum policy..And I will continue to do so if you continue to violate the rules and just to get it straight ...David made it plain to us mods on what to do and not to do and contacting him when dealing with a violation of the rules by you was not one of them. Now you have a nice night, this subject matter is closed. Please refrain from leading the post off track as I will be forced to moderate it and you.

lurkswithin said:
I editted your post because you again violated the forum policy..And I will continue to do so if you continue to violate the rules and just to get it straight ...David made it plain to us mods on what to do and not to do and contacting him when dealing with a violation of the rules by you was not one of them. Now you have a nice night, this subject matter is closed. Please refrain from leading the post off track as I will be forced to moderate it and you.

I see.. well it WAS NOT in violation of ANY RULES, as substantial evidence was provided for my case, all scientifically accurate and tested... so you can go away please. GO right ahead and moderate this post BTW, I am taking screen shots of your RUDENESS to me this evening. I REFUSE to be treated like this by a member who hasn't been here nearly as long as I have, MOD or not. I am not afraid of you Lurks, so don't try that strike the fear of banning into me. You are a rude individual, and I will be continuing this over PM.

DarkBlade said:
Of course my opinion is biased Lurks... AMD is far better then Intel in EVERY ASPECT. If he plans to spend a bit less on the non EE chip which runs cooler and uses MUCH LESS power and can run for long periods of time without MANY restarts, it will NOT have HT technology. AMD in that case, SLAUGHTERS Intel. Need I point out my post yet again, because I refuse to type it again here. HOWEVER, since you are such a totalitarian MOD and deleted my INFO filled post which had LEGITAMENT data refering to why AMD is superior to Intel, I will be reporting you to David. I am tired of you Lurks, you are so uptight about this. My post had SCIENTIFIC HARD FACT, and yet you editted it without consulting David. David read that post this morning, and he was fine with it. You have overstepped your boundries for the last time Lurks. It took me almost 30 mins to make that post. I do not take lightly to people editting my scientific data as to why Intel is flawed and AMD is far superior in a technological standpoint. Thanks for playing the game, YOU LOSE.

Ok, you made your point, now grow up! You're gonna go to college in about a month...start acting like a college student. Stop being such a ass and grow up. Did Giancarlo infect you or something?! Because you're starting to act alot like him...

alvino said:
Ok, you made your point, now grow up! You're gonna go to college in about a month...start acting like a college student. Stop being such a ass and grow up. Did Giancarlo infect you or something?! Because you're starting to act alot like him...

for the last time alvino, i won't become a child like you accuse me of. my complaints are legitament... this is absurd.. i have not proven my point yet, apparently, that much scientific data wasn't enough, so will be FORCED to give 76 reasons (and rising) why Intel is flawed and AMD processors are far better. Sorry you think my endeavor is childish, but I do NOT appreciate my post that was APPROVED my the ADMIN being editted by a lesser MOD.

You're only going to get them edited anyways...You could post a billion reasons and they'll probably be edited or something. Either way, I'm curious on what you can dig up because it would be a good read and I can tell all my Intel-Fanboy friends to piss off. :)

Back
Top Bottom