I Need Professional Opinions on Processors!!

and for a video card wats your budget, if its lower you can go for a 6600 gt or 9800 pro, if its higher you cam head toward a 6800 or one of the ati's X series

What do you want to use your computer for?
For gaming and graphics stuff, get the AMD 64 like darkblade says.
If you are more into video editing however, I would go for an Intel processor and MB as they are considerably faster at this function (try a P4 550 with a 525 chipset MB).

i don't know about the amd 64 yet... it depends how long you plan on using this computer before updating. If you plan on updating after the release of longhorn you will probably get a better deal on any 64 bit processors you want to buy. I really don't know why everyone is buying 64 bits already. For a budget processor you could buy an amd-xp if only used for gaming and web surfing. A really cheap processor is an amd-xp-m which if placed in a desktop pc can either run really cool or you can oc it raising the voltage to 1.5 instead of 1.35, and then raising the FSB and/or clock speed.

Well despite all of the recommendations, I purchased a AMD Duron Applebred 1.8 ghz processor because it was the right socket for my motherboard and it had the FSB I was looking for. Is this an alright processor?

smithman01 said:
Well despite all of the recommendations, I purchased a AMD Duron Applebred 1.8 ghz processor because it was the right socket for my motherboard and it had the FSB I was looking for. Is this an alright processor?

Durons are quite slow, but if it suits you, then they are not terrible. They do not perform very well in games though... i must admit, to get a truly powerful PC, you need an Athlon64. Semprons are decent, but still not on par.

Back
Top Bottom