Other Countries Want To Control The Internet

lurkswithin

Fully Optimized
When the Internet was first being organized the United States, as the prime financier and builder controled the main root servers that are the base line of the internet. Now certain other countries want the United states to relinquish that control over to a world organization such as the United Nations
The original intentions were for this to happen. The United States said it will continue to control these 16 servers because of security purposes and do not plan on relinquishing any control to any foreign country.

A little insight...... These servers is what actually control the traffic of the flow of the internet by maintaining rigid control over domains and domain operations(keeps the names seperated and addresses the calls to the right domain server(s) It is actually in the hands of international business that was created strictly for the purpose of oranizing the web. The United States government maintains the security on the servers while the business runs the operationa, day to day business.

I personally agree with the US on this. Not because I am an American citizen but because the UN can't get together enough to decide anything for the common good. And the opportunity for abuse is too easily accepted by most UN members...A perfect example is the Iraq food for oil issue was being misused by the French government and the Russian government to just put money in the hands of the leaders. Had this not been the case then the war maynot have come about(please no war bashing here as it is not the issue) Saddam paid the French and Russians hundreds of millions of dollars to circumvent the embargoes that were sanctioned by the UN. Saddam got the Money for the illegal transfering of oil that was also supposedly under the watchful eye of the UN.

The theory is that if the UN was to gain control then a committee would be formed and the members of that committee would be unable to resist the temptations to exploit the servers for proffit from criminal interprises.
Some countries are screaming foul ...and Fance is one of them, So they are threatening to build their own internet to serv their own countries and their own domains such as dot com. What this would mean is that you as a user of the web may like to go to a particular website on the dot com domain and actuall be sent to any of a different web sites with the same name and domain names.
I am sorry people but this is outlandish. This would lead too the distruction of the internet and also to the closing of borders and the likes instead of causing borders to be opened for commerce and the inventions and scientific discoveries and the likes.

I think you are right in the fact that relinquishing control would eventually destroy the internet as it is, but, when I think about it, I would have to say it would be a good thing. Consider this: The current internet infrastructure is very old and outdated. It's slowing down and buckling at the seems. It wasn't designed for what it's being used for.

Now, I'm sure everyone is aware how long it takes to change massive infrastructures like the internet. (This is especially true with the United States. We like things the way they are and don't like to spend lots of money improving something that still works.) If the internet were to break up, it obviously wouldn't work. There would be a long period - probably about a decade - in which the internet would cease to be, but it would certainly motivate the United States to implement Internet 2 (which is currently operational to some extent as it is used for research purposes) on a global level.

So not only would the old internet be done away with, but a newer, faster, better infrastructure would be in place, and the United States would still control it since people would keep in mind what happened to the original internet when we gave it away.

Just a thought. It probably wouldn't work out as merrily as I described it. I'm sure there would be quite a bit of turmoil and havoc during that decade or so.

Also, as a side note, this is why companies are currently basing their hydrogen-powered car research and development in China. China's automotive infrastructure is poorly designed and implemented. We're used to nice paved roads everywhere we go and gas stations every mile or so. China has nowhere near that kind of reliability in the automotive industry. Therefore, it is very easy for a newer infrastructure (like a hydrogen-powered one) to develop. It would take many years and billions of dollars to convert to hydrogen in the United States just because we already have a working infrastructure (gasoline) in place, and as the saying here goes, 'Why fix what ain't broke?'.

Yes, I semi agree to what you are saying. Not that i disagree with the other...just that I need to comtemplate it a while..:p
On the one part, my whole thing was that to let an underdeveloped country to have an oportunity to have a control of that magnatude is pretty frightening to me. Look at Nigeria( a full member of the UN) and then look at the government corruption that is ongoing with internet scamms and bank fraud and all that is so rampant there. Think about how easy it would be to just set up a pass through server hooked into the banking trades that did nothing but copied data for only one day. They could bankrupt the world with that kind of information. And NO ONE would or could be the wiser for it. there wouldn't be any way to trace the leak.
And encryption would be meaningless. How long do you think it would take to break it with a open shot at the chance...that is without fear of being caught.

Yeah, I hadn't fully considered the complications of sharing the internet, aside from destruction. Perhaps it's not such a good idea.

That is what I feel. and there being too many terrorists all ready just trying to put another hurt onto someone. Think about what it would do too if they got their hands on it through some country like Iran or Pakastan both who are full members of the united nations.
and as such would or could be a committee chairman for the world wide web server committee or what ever they would try to call it.

If you gave it to the U.N. you may as well close it down. Those people are so parochial and self inteterested that nothing would be done and it would collapse. Then they would want the U.S. to come fix it for them so they could break it again at our expense.

Back
Top Bottom