Give me your opinions people

fetus

In Runtime
Does anyone here think it's possible to run a XFX nVidia Geforce 6800 GT on a computer with a 305 Watt power supply? The card recommends 350 so I figure it's possible...maybe if i disconnect the CD-ROM/CD-RW Drives while I'm using it?

i dont know, i wouldnt do that though, it might be unstable and you might experience random shut offs because your video card is sucking all the power from the cpu and mobo.

I agree with Ownage on this one. Theres a fine line on PowerSupplys as far as their limits go and ensuring proper performance, and your toeing it.

fetus said:
maybe if i disconnect the CD-ROM/CD-RW Drives while I'm using it?

Your serious? Your inviting trouble.

Why don't you just go with a larger PS?

AmericanSensei

If you want that card that badly, I would just bite the bullet and buy a new power supply. They aren't terribly expensive. It's either that or downgrading your video card choice to something like a 6600 or 6600GT.

Obviously if it were that simple I would just buy a new power supply. I have a Dell...it's a proprietary PSU and Dell doesn't even have any more powerful PSUs that are compatible.

Aren't there converters for that? I think there are converters. [Goes and does some research.]

EDIT>

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html
http://edseek.com/archives/2004/02/25/dells-proprietary-psus-are-evil/

The first is a site to buy the converter, and the second is some guy's post ranting about it, hehe. In any case, always remember to NEVER PLUG A REGULAR ATX POWER SUPPLY INTO THE DELL MOTHERBOARD! Apparently, it will fit, but it won't work and could cause damage. If you get one of those converters, you can buy a standard ATX power supply (preferably 400+ watts), use the converter to hook it up to your Dell motherboard, and get your shiny new 6800GT. TADA!

FER RELLY?! OHH MAI GAWW MENG!..I've actually known about that convertor, I just wasn't sure if it'd work. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom