loose cpu fan

ukeitaro

Baseband Member
one corner of my cpu fan/heat sink slot is loose from the mobo. so now my heatsink wont exactly align with the cpu but is sort of slanted so that only part of it is touching the cpu. Will this have a significant effect on the thermal transfer from the cpu to the heatsink?
Also, is the thermal heatsink compound supposed to glue the cpu to the heatsink? If it is, should i buy new thermal compound to restick the heatsink onto the cpu?

If my mobo's green led light turns on when i attach it to the power supply, but it wont boot up, does that mean my mobo is not fried or could it still be fried?

i've read from some other threads that u can "reset" ram chips? how do u do this?

if my psu is overloaded because its wattage is too low, will that fry my mobo and my cpu?

can someone explain to me how to use the voltmeter to test out the psu's status?

sorry for all the noob questions >.< An answer to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated

no the theraml compound only helps to transfer the heat it shouldnt glue it to the cpu. the light only means theres power going into it. i think u mean reset the bios, jsut press the little button on ur mobo by the battery, if there isnt one, remove the battery for a minute or so and then put it back in. overloading the psu could damage ur mobo and other things because they're not getting enough power. just look on the side of the psu at the sticker. if it doesnt have one the psu cant be very good and i'd get a new one.

If the cpu fan is not installed correctly the motherboard will not allow a boot to protect the cpu.

my videocard is a visiontek xtasy geforce4 ti4600, and my psu is 350 watts. When i tried booting it, i also had an 80 gb hdd, cd-rw, and an ethernet card installed. My cpu is a P4 2.4 ghz fsb 400 mhz. Do u think that this was too much for my psu?

we hear you per, we just choose to ignore you :p all we're doing is giving out more things of what it could be

Back
Top Bottom