Help Me Wif Comp Troubles!

Xchange1

Beta member
My computer is completely screwed up...
for no reason at all i get huge lag spikes on games like counter strike...
i get like 1000 ping on local servers
i have no idea how to fix it..it only started happening recently... : /
i wish to completely remove everything on my computer and start again from windows..how do i do that???
i just wanna like...do a recovery to the first day i got it!!!
pleeez help!!!

-=Xchange=-

lol it probably has something to do with your internet connection more or less if you suddenly get high ping in games. But if you reaaaally must start over then you can do what's called a reformat, this basically will whipe out your hdd so nothing is on it, not even windows. Then you just reinstall everything and your good as new.

edit: and do you think you could post COMPLETE specs of your system (OS, CPU, ram, etc.) and your internet service and modem/router, that would probably help a lot.

replying to that stuff

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1gb of ram
160gb HDD
Radeon 9600, 128mb

512kb ADSL Westnet connection
ADSL router (not sure which type)

err...this is all good
and i wanna reformat
so how do i reformat??????
pleeez tell me how to reformat lol!!

help pleez

Windows XP
2.8GHz (P4)
1Ghz of ram
Radeon 9600 128mb

how do i reformat my computer?????????

Well I still don't suggest it since it doesn't seem necessary in this situation, but assuming you have a windows xp disc, all you need to do is go into your BIOS, set it so that the cd rom will boot first and then put the disc in and boot up. Once you're in there, select the option to install a new windows xp and then it'll show you the partitions, delete the one that has windows xp on it (the largest one), then press L to confirm. You will have deleted the partition and then have made a new one as big as your hdd will let you and then you can install windows xp again. By the way those directions might be a tad bit off or not so clear cuz I haven't done that for a while, but you'll understand once you boot from the disc.

Here is actually a better description of what I'm talking about from microsoft's website:

"1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, or insert the first Windows XP Setup disk into the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer.

Note To start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM (or from the startup disk), your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the floppy disk drive. In some cases, you may have to modify your computer's BIOS settings to set this configuration. For information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or the floppy disk drive, see the documentation that is included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.
2. If you are starting the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do this.

Note If your hard disk controller requires a third-party original equipment manufacturer (OEM) driver, press F6 to specify the driver.

For additional information about how to use F6 to supply a third-party OEM device driver while the Windows Setup program is running, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314859 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/) Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP Setup
If you are starting from the Windows XP Setup disks, insert each of the additional disks when you are prompted, and then press ENTER to continue after you insert each disk.
3. At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.
4. Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
5. If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.
6. All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.

Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition.
7. Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.
8. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want them.
9. If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit the Windows Setup program, and then do not follow the remaining steps. In this case, you must use a different utility to format the partition.
10. Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You have the following options:
• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
• Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
• Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
• Format the partition by using the FAT file system
• Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition. The FAT file system option is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB). If the partition is larger than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm). If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT16 file system.

Note If you deleted and created a new System partition, but you are installing Windows XP on a different partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and startup partitions.
11. After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions."

edit: you should be sure to save any important documents, files, songs, whatever you may want to keep cuz this will whipe them out. Programs and things you might have downloaded will have to be downloaded again as well as drivers so make sure you have the proper discs or can find the websites to get the drivers.

Back
Top Bottom