Help with overheating issues

Just your general ATX Mid-tower. If I had a tape measure with me I'd give you the exact dimensions... lol.

Yes, I am using Arctic Silver die paste. I set my jumpers to 166MHz, so I'll just wait and see how hot it gets.

Well I tried it at 166MHz and it locked up on me. The problem isn't while in Windows, but rather while playing a game. Usually after a few minutes the screen will freeze and sometimes the sound will continue but will cut in and out. Maybe it's my GPU? Oh, and when I try to alt-tab or alt-escape out from the frozen screen, the screen goes blank and loses it's connection to the computer.

are you sure the heatsink/fan is seated properly? maybe shifting it around a little bit might help the temps. try getting the dust off of the gpu fan, dust traps an incredible amount of heat and thats why your screen goes blank. Its not your CPU its your gpu. Download Everest and tell us your temps. Are your temp 55-60 full load or idle? If its 55 full, its a little hot, but should be just fine.

Well, this'll sound dumb, but I don't know how to check full load vs. idle, lol. At least not with Everest. The Sensor category shows:

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F, National LM90 (ISA 290h, SMBus 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Soyo KT333 / KT400 / KT600 / KT880 Series

Temperatures
Motherboard 44 °C (111 °F)
CPU 52 °C (126 °F)
Aux 33 °C (91 °F)
WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 29 °C (84 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2109 RPM
Chassis 2519 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.63 V
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 12.22 V
DIMM 2.75 V
AGP 1.52 V

Make sure the video card's processor is cooled properly, as well. Once again, make sure the fan is seated properly, and make sure that there is paste between the processor and the heatsink. Make sure it's seated properly, as well. Also make sure that no cables or wires are blocking the fan or interfering with it in any way.

One thing you can try, if you haven't already, is to keep your case open, and feel around for the hottest areas. I don't mean to touch the stuff while it's running - I mean the air around the stuff. It might help you find where the excess heat is coming, and you could go from there.

I guess what I don't understand is why my system locks up only when the FSB is set to 133MHz or 166MHz, and then only when the GPU is in full use...

Back
Top Bottom