I Need Professional Opinions on Processors!!

smithman01

Baseband Member
I have been building a new computer and have purchased a few components that I would like some opinions on.

Mainboard: K7S5A Pro
Chipset SiS735
VGA/Audio: No/Yes
Modem/LAN: No/Yes
DIMM/DDR: 2/2
ISA/PCI/AGP/AMR: 0/5/1/1

What does everyone think about this mainboard? I have one stick of 256 SDR DIMM memory from another computer that I was thinking about putting into this new computer mainboard, is that enough for it to function properly?

Also, I've researched that this mainboard allows for AMD Athlon XP- Athlon- Duron Processors. Which processor would you recommend for this mainboard? I will probably need something that can handle some gaming. Thanks for your thoughts.

Get a atlon supported M.B and get a amd 64 3000-3200 if you have a bigger buget go with a 3400 or higher

Yeah, the amd xp and duron are getting old. A nice amd 64 3000+ or higher they go up to 4000+ and then there's the fx-55, but THAT cpu is almost $1000, alone, so yeah. plus, if you get the new cpu's, the amd's thatis, you can just upgrade to the other dual cores by just getting the cpu and then upgrading your bios, whereas intel makes you get the chip and anew mobo. so yeah, amd all the way, but make sure it's amd 64.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and it runs great! I would make sure to get a seperate heatsink and fan though to keep it cool. and get arctic silver thermal paste!

Awesome guys, so go with the AMD 64?? My budget for this processor will probably be no more than $250. Will that cover the cost you think? Also, what sort of video card should I get? I have an old ATI Rage 128 lying around but I assume that this is pretty crappy since its like 5 years old or so. Thanks for all the input guys.

smithman01 said:
Awesome guys, so go with the AMD 64?? My budget for this processor will probably be no more than $250. Will that cover the cost you think? Also, what sort of video card should I get? I have an old ATI Rage 128 lying around but I assume that this is pretty crappy since its like 5 years old or so. Thanks for all the input guys.

For 250$, get an AMD Athlon 3500+ and couple it with a good MSI, ABIT, or DFI nForce4 motherboard for around 110-215

yeah, the 3500+ is a great cpu... man. so blazing fast and easily overclockable (for those who can and know how to) and it stays cooler than a well digger's shovel (massive cooling) lol.

Back
Top Bottom