USB2 without SP2

industriality

Beta member
How to get USB 2.0 onto Windows XP without upgrading to SP2.

After MANY hours trying to find a good driver that would enable my onboard USB 2.0 ports at full 2.0 speed, I believe I've finally found something solid. No screwing with SP2 required. The following just worked for me:

I got this ZIP file:
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/usb20/usb2-wxp.zip

I got it from this page:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All&model=P4BGV-MX

I'm fairly certain that I don't even have that board. I have a generic P4 motherboard with onboard USB 2.0 (no additional USB 2.0 PCI card).

I went into the Device Manager, chose "Update Driver" on the USB Controller that had a question mark by it, and browsed to the INF file included in the ZIP file. I had previously installed the Q312370_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe file included as well, but I'm not sure if that made any difference. Once the process finished, it installed a new entry for "USB 2.0 Root Hub" and "Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller". It immediately recognized my USB 2.0 External DVD-writer drive and I successfully tested it at full burn speed.

I know this isn't a great step by step tutorial for beginners, and I don't know what motherboards it works for. I do know that it worked for my computer, on Windows XP Pro without any service packs installed.

By the way, I created a system restore point before trying this and I suggest you do the same for safety.

Wha???

I think you must have missed something somewhere...

whilst I won't doubt that your speeds may have gone from USB 1 to USB 2, I don't think people should be easily mislead by your magic drivers!!

Firstly, what is most likely is that you card was not installed correctly to start with and only registered as a USB 1.0 device... when the drivers were installed correctly, the full capacity of the ports was realised...

It is omportant that anyone reading this does not think that any files can magically upgrade their hardware for them, (unless it's a bios flash, but even then that's actually upgradnig firmware, not hardware!)

I never said anything about turning a USB 1.1 port into 2.0. My post addresses a problem with Windows XP (pre-SP2) where the Operating System will not operate at Hi-Speed (USB 2.0) for onboard USB 2.0 ports. Googling this problem led me to believe that getting working USB 2.0 in Windows XP required upgrading to Service Pack 2 because it includes the Microsoft USB 2.0 drivers, but these non-Microsoft drivers do the same thing without SP2. This was never about hardware.

Exactly. Many of us have perfectly good computers with onboard USB 2.0 ports, but Windows XP won't let us operate at USB2 speeds because Microsoft wants to force a service pack on us to get its drivers. By installing these non-Microsoft drivers instead, I was able to get USB2 speeds without any service packs installed on top of my OS.

I don't understand the usb2 speeds that you are refering too. I have had usb2 installed for like 3 years now and had no problem using it as a high speed connection prior to the SP2 rollout. The drivers were supplied from my motherboard supplier as any drivers for periphials should be. In fact I don't use any of M$ driver update files as I always going to original manufacturer websites for best available drivers. I don't see how you think that windows kept you from updating your USB drivers.

My motherboard did come with with USB2 drivers. But they conveniently required at least SP1 to be installed.

um...

My MSI motherboard came out of the box with usb 2.0. Otherwise I would not have obtained it. But all it needed to get them going was installing the motherboard drivers. There is no magic bullitt that will make a usb 1.0/1.1 go to usb 2.0. The hardware has to be usb 2.0 to start with to get usb 2.0 capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom