Power Supply Danger?! EH?

fetus

In Runtime
I just ordered a dell computer that comes with a 305 Watt PSU and I was wondering whether or not it would be safe to replace it with a generic 350 Watt PSU. I have a link to the power supply I've ordered to replace it if it helps at all...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104118

I've heard that even though other PSUs may fit into the Dell they could still cause problems.

why would you replace is with another 350watt psu? i would get the aspire 500 watt, or at least 400 watts.

I've ordered a new video card that recommends a 350watt psu and I was unsure of whether or not i should get exactly 350 or more. I know it seems stupid not to get a higher wattage psu but I don't know how a 400+ Watt psu will affect the computer. I didn't know if it would cause overheating or what not.

no it wouldn't, your computer will only use what it needs, it's not like it would give it too much power so that it gets too much and dies.

if your video card recromends 350watt i would go higher. if you have any extra stuff ( second HDD, a bunch of PCI slot cards..) it might not have enough power. the aspire 500watt is a nice one but a 400watt PSU should do you good.

You cannot replace the powersupply in a Dell, you are SCREWED. The motherboard uses a propriatary connector, NO OTHER POWER SUPPLIES other then Dell PSUs can go into it and fit properly in the ATX plug. Sorry man, you are out of luck. Just another reason why Dell is so EVIL.

DarkBlade said:
You cannot replace the powersupply in a Dell, you are SCREWED. The motherboard uses a propriatary connector, NO OTHER POWER SUPPLIES other then Dell PSUs can go into it and fit properly in the ATX plug. Sorry man, you are out of luck. Just another reason why Dell is so EVIL.

NOOOOOOO....do you think dell sells replacement PSUs? What about that link in my post above? Some kinda connecter that fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom