Help with overheating issues

mstaten

Solid State Member
So I have a pretty decent system, or at least I like to think so. Here is what I've got:

Athlon XP 2800+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
1536mb SDRAM (3 512 sticks)
nVidia 5950 Ultra
80GB HDD
Etc.

So my system is pretty nice and should run fairly fast, but I run into an overheating issue. I don't know if my case is too small or if I have too much stuff crammed into my case, but I can't run my CPU at anything over 100mhz bus or my ABR (anti-burn regulator) kicks in and shuts down my system. I could turn off the ABR, but that could damage my processor and I don't really want to do that. Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions for me??

I've gone through 3 CPU fan/heatsinks and I've maxed out the fan slots available :/

hmm

hmm well if you went through those, then you should maybe try something else like water cooling , 1 question, do you overclock at all?

ya thats what im thinking. some ppl can go w/ normal stock cpu fans, and a system just like that, and be perfectly fine

No, I'm not overclocking. In fact I might be underclocking, lol. My FJ1 jumpers can be set to 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, and 200mhz. During the winter I set the jumpers to 133 or 166 but right now during the summer I have it set at 100. I have tried setting it to 200 before but regardless of the ambient temperature, my system won't start. It's almost as if it doesn't recognize that I attached the jumpers.

I've considered a couple of things... First, I wonder if my case is too small. I mean my graphics card seems to put out a lot of heat, so maybe a bigger case would allow for more air and thus keep it cooler? My second thought was that maybe my RAM is creating too much heat and I should remove a stick...?

As for my air flow, I have to pulling fans at the bottom front of my case, one pusher on my acrylic side panel, and one pusher at the back directly under the PSU. I can only speculate but I'm pretty sure that my air flow is good.

Oh, if it helps to know, my average CPU temp is somewhere around 55-60 C with my FJ1 jumpers at 100MHz.

That CPU temp is a bit hot. Are you using thermal paste like Arctic Silver? Make absolutely sure you are. At the very least, you need a thermal pad. Also, if you don't already, try replacing any big, flat ATA cables with rounded ones to maximize the airflow. Make sure your power supply's fan is working, as well, and make sure that the power supply's wattage can support your system. If it can't put out enough power, overheating will occur. In any case, no computer should overheat that much if it's put together properly.

sesar said:
No, I'm not overclocking. In fact I might be underclocking, lol. My FJ1 jumpers can be set to 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, and 200mhz. During the winter I set the jumpers to 133 or 166 but right now during the summer I have it set at 100. I have tried setting it to 200 before but regardless of the ambient temperature, my system won't start. It's almost as if it doesn't recognize that I attached the jumpers.

I've considered a couple of things... First, I wonder if my case is too small. I mean my graphics card seems to put out a lot of heat, so maybe a bigger case would allow for more air and thus keep it cooler? My second thought was that maybe my RAM is creating too much heat and I should remove a stick...?

As for my air flow, I have to pulling fans at the bottom front of my case, one pusher on my acrylic side panel, and one pusher at the back directly under the PSU. I can only speculate but I'm pretty sure that my air flow is good.

Oh, if it helps to know, my average CPU temp is somewhere around 55-60 C with my FJ1 jumpers at 100MHz.

those jumpers are for setting the fsb.... the reason it keeps overheating is because your underclocking it. its supposed to be at 166 for the xp 2800 because it has a 333fsb.

Back
Top Bottom