mobo fried? cpu fried? none of the aforementioned?

nonamebrand

Solid State Member
I'll keep it short and simple.

Here's the story. I bought a Zalman heatsink for my friend's computer, installed it, tried using both artic silver 5 and the supplied thermal grease several times.

Fans spin, hdd powers up, NO POST or beeps.

Put in the stock heatsink, and no post or beeps.

Mobo is out of the case, with only: cpu, cpu fan, vid card, ram, psu connected.

I tried removing all ram and listening for the post beep errors, nothing.

Any ideas? thanks.

i had the same problem w/ my first build...what kind of motherboard is it? mine was an Aopen and it turned out to be a defective motherboard. had to send it back 2 times.

Hey Kalgatha,

The mobo is an Asus A7V8X-X, Socket A. I hope the mobo isn't dead, it's too late to return it. It's over 2 years old.

Right now I have only the CPU and PSU connected to the mobo.

Shouldn't I be hearing POST error beeps from the lack of presence of working video card and ram?

I hear no error beeps, therefore the mobo is damaged???

Is this an accurate assumption?

you could always sell it on ebay very distinctly

i bought this mobo a few years back thinking that i wud make a computer, but then i decided not too. this hasnt been tested so there is no guarantee that it will work

howevr if u do this, ur immortal soul could suffer in hell. please sin at your own risk.

I don't think I could get much for this used 2 year old mobo. The problem is, this is not my computer and it's actually my friend's. I went out with him yesterday and bought a new video card (6600GT), cpu heatsink, video card heatsink and case fans. And now I think I seriously damaged his component(s).

"My mate had the same problem, we thought it was a dead mobo, turned out to be the Motherboard Metal Stand off that was killing it, we removed the stands and presto! everything started working again."
i got this from a forum i read. maybee its your problem.

woz

Thanks for your reply wozelbeak.

A "metal stand off" is also known as a stud?

If so, it wouldn't apply to me right now, because the mobo is out of the case and on sitting on a cardboard box while I run tests on it.

Back
Top Bottom