Assembling a system

SirVal

In Runtime
As i've stated in other posts i'll shortly be purchasing a £1200 load of components to build a heavy gaming machine. I'm confident with components I know what goes and doesn't, HOWEVER i've never assembled a system before from scratch, and at this cost nothing can go wrong, £1200 can't be easily earnt for this cause again.
I've been trying to assemble an old pc for practise, however when i hit the power button i hear... nothing, not a thing happens, I can fit Graphics cards, RAM and what have you, but when it comes to the millions of power cables i'm stuck. Coming off the power button are a number of wires labelled for instance: 'sleep LED' and 'Power Switch', now there appears to be sockets for these small wires to fit into but when i connect them and try to power up, there is nothing.
Now the last thing I want is to get my amazing system connected then when switching it on be presented with nothing. I've been told that the problem could be because its an old system i'm practising on the small cables coming off the power button to be connected to 'who knows where' shouldnt be on a new power supply, however i don't know so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot

Power Switch or Power SW goes mainly at the bottom right on most motherboards. They are 2 pin conncetors and dont worry about connectors! Your motherboard manual will tell you everything! I just built a system for the first time on sunday, had some problems but got through them fairly fast! It was very easy, just relax!

Ah motherboard manual explains all eh? Well I dont have a manual for this old bean of a board but that doesn't suprise me.
So even though i've never done a system build before, with the following of the manual I should be just fine?
Thanks alot, Thats the reassurance I need.

My old motherboard? I have no idea, it was given to me about 3 years back. I'm not even sure if there's any point getting it back up and running, its got a 400 mhz proccessor and is quite pathetic ^_^

Well, go tot eh site and download the manual for the one you are building with. That way you can be more confident!

Well i would have thought there would be a manual with the motherboard i buy? As in one that comes in the box.

No Problem! I downloaded my guide weeks before I got my motherboard....but I changed what motherboard I was getting so many times it didn't matter....

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS ULTRA SOCKET 939

Back
Top Bottom