firewire add on

EEB

Beta member
I bought a gateway 700x PC about 4 years ago. I recently bought a sony DCR-HC65 camcorder and want to be able to download the videos onto my pc for editing. I know the fastest way to download them is with a firewire cable. The only problem is that my pc doesn't have a firewire port. It does have an opening on the front of the tower for one beside the two usb's though.

So what do I need so that I can add a firewire?

Here is some of the stuff that my gateway has...

gateway 700x PC
gateway mid tower case
intel 1.8GHZ pentium 4 processor and motherboard
512mb RDRam PC800 memory
EV910 19" monitor
64mb DDR Nvidia Geforce3 AGP graphic w/TV out
80GB 7M ultra ATA hard drive
CDRW
DVD rom drive
Soundblaster live value with digital audio output
boston acoustics dolby digital speakers and sub
Linksys PCI 10/100 card standard height
windows xp
plus some other stuff etc....

Thanks

How do they get installed?

Will that allow me to use the firewire opening on the front of my tower?

Sorry about all of the questions but I don't know to much about computers..

To install one, you open your case and set the card in an empty PCI slot. You may or may not be able to use the opening on the front. Some cards have internal connections for those sort of things, others don't.

Thanks Satori...

I was just reading an old post where someone was asking about adding a firewire also. He wanted to use the opening on the front of the case. Someone told him that if his motherboard has a firewire port. he could plug into that and he could use the firewire opening on the case. If not he would need a firewire card.

How can I find out if my motherboard has a firewire port without opening the case? Because I would like to use the firewire opening on the case if possible.

Chances are if you got your computer from somewhere like Gateway or Dell and you don't have what you want, it's not there.

You'd probably have to contact Gateway Support, as they use proprietary motherboards and I don't think any manual they include with there computers would tell you if it had a firewire connection or not.

Back
Top Bottom