Help with a power supply

fetus

In Runtime
I just got a computer that comes with a 305 Watt power supply and I'm planning on getting a XFX PVT45GUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card which recommends at least a 350 Watt supply. Should I bother ordering a power supply and if so should I get a cooling device with it? Is there any danger of overheating if I get a power supply over 400 Watts?

Unless your PC runs incredibly hot, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. You should, of course, bother to buy it because I doubt that card would work without it.

Oh yeah and If I happen to get a 350W supply and I get a cooling device also; will I need to get a higher power supply to compensate for the cooling device?

A 305 watt power supply?? That is a strange figure there. If you are going to be getting a newer graphics and it recommends that you use a certain wattage or better for a power supply then my suggestion is to do that. It elliminates any possibilities of failure when you meet the requirements as suggested.
If you are concerned about the power supply overheating, don't be. The manufacturers design a cooling system and it is built in that is more than adequate to keep it cool.

Be sure to that your new power supply will fit your new system as that 305 seems a bit off then it may be special built and will have to be replaced with only certain replacements because of proprietary measures from the manufacturer

fetus said:
Oh yeah and If I happen to get a 350W supply and I get a cooling device also; will I need to get a higher power supply to compensate for the cooling device?

Probably not.

lurkswithin said:
Be sure to that your new power supply will fit your new system as that 305 seems a bit off then it may be special built and will have to be replaced with only certain replacements because of proprietary measures from the manufacturer

Oh yeah! shite..It's a dell computer...does that mean I'll be unable to use this thing?

Back
Top Bottom