Sharing files between 2 computers.

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
OK first please don't move this thread into the networking section because nobody goes there. after my questions have bin answered feel free to move it there to keep things organized.

I have NO! networking experience:

Basically i want to setup a home LAN between my computer and the family computer. i want to be able to send music to mine from the family computer. i don't need to share internet because i'm just going to buy another modem(i'm on cable internet).

If this is needed both computers are running XP pro SP2. the family computer has this MOBO: http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/index.htm
and mine has this one:http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1194276&CatId=1573

I don't want it to be a wireless network. what all do i need to set this up? if you could post a link to a product that would be nice.

you could just take a long ass ethernet cord, and plug it into both computers, and there you have it, instant network.

now, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't a router, take one ethernet cable, and transfer the information to another ethernet cable? We're just cutting out the middle man. and by the way, i am just as much in the blue about networking as you are, so, i could be way, way, way wrong/

just buy a router (they go for about $50 in Costco) , get the cables in their place, run the network setup wizard on both computers, and there ya have it.. a home network. If you buy a wireless router, make sure u put some security (user & pass) into it, the manual should explain that, cus else you could have your whole neighborhood connecting to the internet from your modem :eek:

Ok. could you suggest a router of tigerdirect.ca also the family computer only has one LAN jack so i would also have to buy a LAN card right?

A nice cheap wireless combo router would be a D-Link DI 524 or similar. The setup could be hardwired or wireless for future add-ons. and one of the best explanations for networking is in the xp help files under networking

Did you read the other posts, i'm not asking how to set it up. i'm asking what i need and what product i should use.

Back
Top Bottom