Computer Shuts Down...And Then Restarts By Itself?

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
Okay well, for the past two nights, things have been happening with my new computer. The day before yesterday night, after I tried to shut my computer down, it would automatically restart. I solved this problem by unplugging the cord. Yesterday night, I shut down the computer, and I thought all was well. That is, until thirthy minutes later I find that my computer was turned on again. So, once again, I unplugged the power cord.

My question is, what is going on here? And does it have the potential to destroy my computer?

That kind of constant turning on and turning off can damage the fragile wafers of chipsets and CPUs in your PC. This might be the sign of a failing power supply.

Two things you need to check:

1). On your motherboard, check that the POWER SWITCH (PWR SW) and RESET SWITCH (RST SW) are correctly aligned and not slightly dislodged from their required spots.

2). After turning on the PC, go directly into the BIOS and turn on the failsafe defaults. Then, turn the PC back on and go into the BIOS again. Go into your monitoring area (hardware monitoring or voltage monitoring) and check that your voltages are AS CLOSE as possible to your required voltages. :D

Err, what are the required voltages?

And why would be it be a failing power supply?

has it been struck by lightning recently?
It could be aware of itself..

Anyway, i leave my computer on 24/7 so i have no idea whats going on.

Back
Top Bottom