Red Hat 5.2 help

Dark Assassin

In Runtime
I recently bought an old computer, with a Pentium processor, 16MB RAM, and a 2GB hard drive...

well, I formatted it and put Red Hat Linux 5.2 on it, with (of course) no prior knowledge of any UNIX-based OS. Luckily, I have a friend who used to run Linux, and he was able to help a little, but now I really have no clue what to do. All of the packages I install seem to disappear, and I don't know how to run anything but the games in X Window...

can anyone help me? any links to tutorial or help pages, or just advice would be helpful.

thanks!

Open a console, type 'info', press enter, and start reading up.

The console is the most powerful tool linux has to offer, if you can manage to gain a bit of proficiency with that, you can do anything with linux.

just from a root shell?

and info works with redhat?
i've noticed a few differences between that and other linux OS's

RedHat 5.2!!?? Sheesh. That's old. Your comp is capable of running more modern versions. Could you provide more info on your errors? Like what error output you get when your GUI fails to start?

there aren't any error messages, i just can't seem to find the packages i install...

is there a file directory like windows explorer? the click-open submenu only shows system tools and games...no other programs...

and the computer is actually older than redhat 5.2... it came with win95...5.2 was released in 1998...

Dark Assassin said:
just from a root shell?

and info works with redhat?
i've noticed a few differences between that and other linux OS's

Info should work on any distribution. It's part of the coreutils.

Back
Top Bottom