Is this software Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats one of the down fall of the internet different areas of the world have different rules its crazy

Their illegal poeple here will tell you you'l get caught. But i've been DLing for years now and its not sercet. They are illegal but chances of you going to jail or eh even getting fined over it are about 1 in a billion. Should see my DVD collection. All burned rentals

yes but the program itself is not illegal, downloading files for free is, and then if you keep them in a folder thats shared thats even worse

Nik00117 said:
Their illegal poeple here will tell you you'l get caught. But i've been DLing for years now and its not sercet. They are illegal but chances of you going to jail or eh even getting fined over it are about 1 in a billion. Should see my DVD collection. All burned rentals

I think If I was you I would not be bragging about doing illegal stuff in this forum. Get my drift???

Having a P2P Program isn't illegal, just downloading anything other than Freeware is illegal.

kazaa lite is illegal though, techically, because it is a copied and redistributed version of kazaa

That didn't sound like bragging. But anyway, here's the thing. This is what the courts are trying to figure out right now, actually. The file-sharing program itself is not illegal. If I took some pictures, and I wanted to share those pictures, I could put them in my WinMX share folder. Now other people can have the pictures that I took. This is perfectly legal and safe because they are my pictures to do what I want with them.

The problem is that file-sharing programs are being used to share copyrighted materials. Namely mp3's, but virtually everything else, as well. TV shows, movies, videos, pictures, et cetera. If what you download is copyrighted and you don't have permission from the copyright owner to download or share their material, that is when it is illegal. So, if you wanted to download Coldplay's latest album, you'd have to ask for permission from not only them, but their label, Capitol. You'd never get that permission, by the way, because there's no way either of them would say, "Sure, you can download this album for free." They'd think you're crazy.

The courts are debating whether the programs themselves should be considered illegal. Another example of the US justice system justifying the means by the ends. They seem to be saying that if a program is used to do something illegal, the program itself should be considered illegal. I personally strongly disagree, as I'm sure many of you will, too. It's like saying that because so many robberies happen at banks, banks themselves should be outlawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom