Choosing a Player

Ipod. It just ownz. And it is the only Apple item I wil ever buy.

IT OWNZZZZZ! JUST LIKE MY HP!

But it dosnt give me headshots :(.

lurkswithin said:
You don't have to DL napster to your player. DL to your HDD and then you can burn them to disc or to your player or whatever.
Naptster says they charge a fee per track when downloading songs to your hdd, however you can "fill and refill" your player for only $15 a month.. So if you go directly to the player and not the computer, they charge you less. so how do they know which is which?

austin15 said:
i got a creative zen micro and i love it. its 5gb, you can listen to and record radio, and the batteries have 12 hrs of charge. it also has an EQ feature witch its really cool

Yeah, Creative did a good job designing the Zen Micro. My only complaint is the slightly twitchy sensitivity.

Ok. Went to Best Buy today to find an mp3 player, and I ended up buying a Green 4gig iPod Mini. Now, my only question is about napster. I got a free 30day trial of Napster to go, and I am wondering how I can get these on my iPod. Also, I am confused about the whole fill and refill deal.

Yeah Creative is teh 0wn4g3. I have a Zen Xtra and it's really awesome. It even has this thing called Rescue Mode where you can reformat the hdd, uninstall and reinstall the firmware, do a diskscan of the songs to find errors and clean it up, it's really awesome and saved mine once actually. I had it really close to the edge of my bed while I was sleeping and I guess it dropped, turned it on and apparently the drop shook it up a little cuz it would always freeze at one of the loading screens. All I had to do was go into Rescue Mode, reformat and boom, it was back up and in fine shape.

Id say Ipod for no particular reason and i wouldnt worry about cost of songs since most of time just download them free...but creative are good too...i guess i chose Ipod coz look better (simple is good).

crazyman143 said:
Naptster says they charge a fee per track when downloading songs to your hdd, however you can "fill and refill" your player for only $15 a month.. So if you go directly to the player and not the computer, they charge you less. so how do they know which is which?

by tracing the link of the download.

And it has been a while since i used my napster card so didn't know about that program of downloading to a player.Thanks for the info there

It says on napster that you MUST have a subscription to access your songs. Do your songs just go away if you unsubscribe? How can they do that?

Napster works sort of like iTunes. If you cancel your subscription with Napster, the songs you got from them won't work. Basically, your subscription fees pay for royalties (among other things), and if you aren't paying, you can't legally have the songs.... or something.

That's why I hate all those song programs like Napster and iTunes - the songs are never really yours. They aren't mp3's. They are proprietary formats like m4p (I believe that's the iTunes extension) that can't be copied or burned whenever you want to. They allot a certain number of burns and copies for the songs you get, and if you burn a song too many times, you'd have to buy it again to burn. Not to mention, you're screwed if you ever decide to cancel your subscription.... all that music down the drain.

Like I said in another thread, I have seen ways to convert different proprietary formats into mp3, but the methods I've seen are quite complicated and take some time. I think it's easier just borrowing a CD from a friend and ripping to mp3. Then I have the songs, and I can burn and copy as many times as I want to.

P.S. One simpler method I've seen is to burn the songs to a CD after you buy them and rip them back off the CD to mp3. I don't know if it would work, but it seems like it should, and it would be the easiest way to do it that I've seen.

EDIT > Borrowing a CD from a friend to rip is considered illegal, as well. It's really only legal to rip if you own a copy of the CD. So if you go out and buy a CD from Wal-Mart or wherever, it's okay to rip the songs to your computer and your mp3 player and to make copies, but if you ever get rid of the original CD, you legally have to delete all of the songs you ripped from the CD and destroy all the copies you made since you no longer have the right to own the songs.

It's the same idea behind ROMs. In order to legally own a videogame ROM, you must own the original videogame. That's why most ROM sites have disclaimers that say their ROMs can only be downloaded by owners of the game. It keeps them from being liable even though pretty much everyone downloads ROMs without owning the actual game.

Back
Top Bottom