Changing computer cases?

ATX is the standard by which most current (& common) motherboards are built so that they are compatible with ATX cases, power supplies, ... etc. Basically, it's so all components are compatible no matter what vendor you buy from. For example, if you buy a MSI motherboard, it will fit in a ASUS case, as long as they are ATX compatible, which I figure 95% of what you're looking at on newegg.com are.
I think its a huge risk to buy that case and attempt to put your slimline motherboard in there. Im fairly confident that the standard for slimline is called something else ... not ATX. Just dont think you will be successful in what you are trying to accomplish.

K, what if I buy a new motherboard? Could you help me in finding one that would be compatible with my current hardware?

(http://www.epinions.com/pr-Hewlett_Packard_HP_Vectra_VLi8_D9806E888_PC_Desktop/display_~full_specs)

P3, 500MHZ, 512MB RAM, etc?

And, obviously, that would be ATX compatible?

Something cheap, even used (like ebay) would be great.

And before looking at new motherboards, wouldn't it make sense for me to find out which one I have currently just to make sure its not ATX?

Thanks!

You've got to look around on your own ... do a Google search for specs on your model. :)

Are you a working man/woman 07mackenzie? If so, honestly, I'd start putting aside some money ... maybe a goal of $500? and build a custom P4 machine. It all depends on what you're wanting to do with your current machine. Just internet? ... then just leave it as is. If you're wanting to get into a gaming machine, or a more powerful processing machine ... then I'd start saving my money.

Well the thing is, it's just an experimental pc that i use to try out linux distros and surf the web occasionally.

I took some pics of the back of the pc: lemme know if they help to determine what type of case it could work in. They look VERY similar but not quite the same as the MicroATX Midtower backs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showi...X+300W+Intel/AMD+Listed+Power+Supply+-+Retail)

here are the pics of my pc:

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Thanks!

Why do you wish to change boxes out?
I will tell you right now that you will NOT be able to use that motherboard in any other case. It is an extremely proprietary board: meaning the everything on that board was built and designed for that universal case. If you wish, you can probably use the optic drive(CD-rom) and the floppy but that all depends on the button set-up of the two drives. Other than that, I think that the best deal that you could do with it would be to sell it at a garage sale or to a neighbor or donate it and start over.

Honestly I really just wanted to change boxes because I wanted a more attractive one. The beige is just aghh and doesn't match with monitor, keyboard, or mouse...

hhahaha so it's not an essential thing :p is it possible to just spraypaint a case black *obviously taping up the things i dont want painted ?

get some chrome spraypaint at your local Lowe's or Home Depot ... that'd be kind of cool! :) Chrome goes well with black ... no?

I'd take everything out of the case though before doing it. Gives you a chance to learn how a pc is put together, so you'll be ready when you build your screaming AMD 64 3500+ Venice machine or whatever! :) LOL

:D hahahaha sounds good :p I'm thinking I'll get black and silver paint and do a crazycool job of painting :)

Back
Top Bottom