Safety in building a computer?

Dishdog said:
don't use megnetic screwdrivers.

LOL you serious :eek:

Thats what i use all the time! :eek: :eek:

Maybe thats 'part' of my problem...

Thanks per for the link, ill take a look and read more about it soon

CrossCech said:
Have to disagree with you there. Unplugging from the wall totally ensures that no electrical current is flowing ... should never trust that the power switch on the back of your pc is enough. I've been in enough electrician's courses to know that power switches are never the end all, be all. :)

This is what I was meaning about grounding yourself to your case, by touching the metal chassis, or the case as you put it.

So what your saying that, just say i take all my cords from the comp out and turn the power off at the wall annnnddd the power switch, that im pretty much safe? Now i dunno if this is true or what have you, i hear bits about this and that, but im never sure....
Even after turning the power off at the wall and power switch on computer that there is still ALOT of electricity going through that you can do anything about it?

Im still having trouble as you say 'grounding'...

So if i touch the case you mean and while im touching the components(well you no what i mean)?

btw thanks TRDCorolla for that tip, need to remeber that!..

To clarify that grounding part, this is what I would do: If you want to work with two hands (like getting a part out of the case or putting one in), I like to put my forearm on the chassis of the case while my hands are free to do whatever parts it needs to grab or have both forearms touching the metal case.

Or, simply have one hand grab the metal part of the case while the other one fiddles inside, but that's kind of hard to install things with only one hand. Better yet, some people actually go out and buy a antistatic wrist strap. I guess whatever works.

...and defintely unplug the power cord. That was the first rule of thumb my instructor taught us when tinkering with the insides of a PC.

TRDCorolla said:
To clarify that grounding part, this is what I would do: If you want to work with two hands (like getting a part out of the case or putting one in), I like to put my forearm on the chassis of the case while my hands are free to do whatever parts it needs to grab or have both forearms touching the metal case.

Or, simply have one hand grab the metal part of the case while the other one fiddles inside, but that's kind of hard to install things with only one hand. Better yet, some people actually go out and buy a antistatic wrist strap. I guess whatever works.

...and defintely unplug the power cord. That was the first rule of thumb my instructor taught us when tinkering with the insides of a PC.

ah thanks!! Thats great..Also i was thinking there was something you could use and couldnt think of it, a antistatic wrist strap!!! :p

Ill go try that out now and put that to work :D
but... if i come back and ive got shocked again or that...
Ill blame YOU! joking..!

haha no thanks i understand better now what to do :D
yay im excited :D

Note to self get a new screwdriver... :rolleyes:

edit: thanks heaps per handy link im gunna put that in my fav's

You won't get shocked as long as you unplug the power cord from the wall. Don't be messing with the power supply though. Still keep yourself grounded everytime you touch inside the case just in case if you walk around a lot and build up static electricity on yourself.

Most screw use Phillips so get a phillips screwdriver. I find it easy just to get a computer tool kit that comes with everything you need (different sizes screwdrives, antistatic wrist straps, jumper extractors, etc.).

If you need to open it up, You should always unplug it first, That way there is no mistaking that the power is off.
So what your saying that, just say i take all my cords from the comp out and turn the power off at the wall annnnddd the power switch, that im pretty much safe? Now i dunno if this is true or what have you, i hear bits about this and that, but im never sure....
Even after turning the power off at the wall and power switch on computer that there is still ALOT of electricity going through that you can do anything about it?
A computer has no build up electrical power except for the PSU which is self discharging. The few capaciters that are used in the motherboard are also self discharging. This is done so as to elliminate the possibilty of blowing chips and circuits. When it is unplugged it is dead with the exception of some components of the PSU and they are in a sealed unit to prevent accidental discharge.

One should always ground themselves to the computer frame(chassis) before touching any circuitry or components to discharge any built up static electricity within your own body or clothing.
Geographical areas will dictate to the amount of built up static as the same as atmospheric conditions. Cold places, high altitudes, and low humidity prone areas are the most common areas to have strongest static charges.If you live in these areas you should take exceptional caution to prevent static shock

CrossCech said:
Have to disagree with you there. Unplugging from the wall totally ensures that no electrical current is flowing ... should never trust that the power switch on the back of your pc is enough. I've been in enough electrician's courses to know that power switches are never the end all, be all. :)

you plug it in at the wall turn the switch off at the WALL not the computer thats what we had to do at college?

technoman ... what college did you go to? :)

As has been said numerous times already, to ensure no electricity is flowing through your pc, unplug the cord ... either at the wall or from the power supply from the pc.

Lurkswithin, nicely done explanation ... I learned something new today!

TRDCorolla said:
You won't get shocked as long as you unplug the power cord from the wall. Don't be messing with the power supply though. Still keep yourself grounded everytime you touch inside the case just in case if you walk around a lot and build up static electricity on yourself.

Most screw use Phillips so get a phillips screwdriver. I find it easy just to get a computer tool kit that comes with everything you need (different sizes screwdrives, antistatic wrist straps, jumper extractors, etc.).

Thanks for the info! Youve been very helpful!
...need to ask my bro were to found one of those kits tho, or he might have one i dunno, but ive never seen one around before maybe need to look into it more, i like that idea, speesh the antistatic strap...

lurkswithin thanks you also, very helpful just like TRDC..
Thanks everyone ill say, for clearing it up..

About the static, i think my house had got alot as its a very old house, as you said bout the 'humidity'...

Now what i have to do is actucally get going with opening it up and doing what i want to do, and put my mums mind to rest that its safe! :rolleyes: welll if you are know what you are doing that is...

btw technoman: your confuse'n me

lurkswithin explained (very well indeed) how electrical power is self discharged by the psu and capacitors on your motherboard, once the power cord has been removed. To ground yourself, or "earth" yourself as you state, you pretty much can discharge any static electricity you have within your body or clothes, by touching the case chassis (frame).

Feels like Im beating a dead horse here.

Back
Top Bottom