Aw man, I think I'm screwed

gamja.namja

Baseband Member
Okay, so to check my system, I connected the PSU to a mobo with only the CPU, heatsink, and 2 sticks of ram on it. But, when I turned the PSU on, the fan wouldn't move at all.

I was thinking that maybe my Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe mobo wasn't compatible with the Zalman CNpS7700 -CU heat sink, so I tried the stock heat sink, which didn't work either. I checked the CPU_FAN connector (the white connector thingie) and the connection was secure, but just in case, I tried connecting the plug to the Chassis Fan 1 plug, which is right next to the cpu-fan plug, and it still didn't work

I'm getting kinda scared, so I'd really appreciate it if someone helped me out. I used Arctic Silver 5, have an AMD64 athlon 4000+ CPU, Asus A8N SLi-Deluxe mobo, Zalman CNPS7700-CU heatsink, and Corsair XMS PC3200.

By the way, if the Green LED at the bottom of the mobo lights on, it means that I didn't fry my mobo, right? And is it possible to fry the CPU by rubbing a paper towel against it with acetone to remove the arctic silver? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a paranoid freak.

It appears to be a bad cpu fan. The mobo protection should have precluded the boot to protect the mobo. Replace the fan and try again.

first off why did u connect u psu and everything to the mobo and not the hd too? did u hear any popping or zapping sounds? any sparks? was it in the case or on a table or something? you sure the power supply is set to 115v instead of 250v? try hooking everything up and see if the computer starts. per i dont think its the cpu fan because he said the other cooler didnt work either

No sounds or smoke or anything? Just that the fan didn't work. Heh, i didn't connect the hard drive or anything because i'm a noob. I'll try hooking up the entire rig and trying again, but in the meantime, if there are any suggestions please add!

Thanks for the quick replies too

"I was thinking that maybe my Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe mobo wasn't compatible with the Zalman CNpS7700 -CU heat sink, so I tried the stock heat sink, which didn't work either. I checked the CPU_FAN connector (the white connector thingie) and the connection was secure, but just in case, I tried connecting the plug to the Chassis Fan 1 plug, which is right next to the cpu-fan plug, and it still didn't work"

so 2 fans are faulty huh? i would see after u try hooking up the system and if it still doesnt work if u can get a new mobo on trade or something. or get the neo 4 platinum SLI board.

Money_man-No offense-he said he connected the cpu fan connector to the chassis fan connector. That will not work as the mobo senses the cpu fan operation from the cpu connector and will not allow a boot without the proper input from it.

yea, i did connect the cpufan connector to the chassis fan connection, but only after the cpufan connection wouldn't work

oh, and how long does it take for the cpu to heat up enough to damage itself if the heatsink doesn't work (as int he fan doesn't spin)? Cause i was reading from one website that said it like
"YOUR CPU HEATS UP 50 TIMES FASTER THAN A HEAT STOVE, AND WILL BLOW UP AND EXPLODE AND KILL YOU IF YOU DON"T COOL IT IN A FEW SECONDS!!! OMG!!!!111"

Back
Top Bottom