Changing computer cases?

Well, you'd have to unscrew your motherboard and unattach all drives, and reattach everything to the new case. The only thing you wouldn't have to do is reinstall the CPU or the memory, but you'd hav et odo everything else. What are you changing it for, because it doesn't seem worth the time or money for a change in decoration.

The most important thing is make sure the motherboard will fit in there. It's going to be a very tight fit if that's the case you want according to your link. I would just go for a mid tower case.

k thanks. so do you think someone who's never built a pc before would have a lot of trouble with the transfer?

It's pretty straightforward. Everything is screwed down and all you have to do is unscrew everything and move it into the other case. The only part you have to be careful is recognizing the other case's wires. Make sure you plug those wires in to the correct pins on the motherboard for the power switch, reset, hard drive LEDs, etc.

Alright. And should I be looking for one with/without a power supply (i already have one in my other pc)

only thing I can see you might have to contend with would be the difference in wiring of the motherboard. The new case may have different labeled wires or have some using molex connectors and what have you. For a newbie at building, it might be a little confusing, but with help from the people here at CF, we can get you through it. :)

BTW ... I'd stick with the 450w power supply from the new case. Do you have specs of the motherboard you plan to transfer? i.e. brand/model #. You haven't told us anything about those things ... we may find that your motherboard is incompatible with the power supply connectors or something of the new case.

**edit** I see you listed that you have a slimline pc. Hmmm ... got to make sure it is ATX compatible. You see ... the several connectors on the back ... i.e. ps/2 for keyboard and mouse, usb, etc. ... might not be lined up to be compatible with a typical ATX tower case that you're wanting to transfer to.

Alright. I actually decided on this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811153031

And I assume i should still try to use the built-in power supply. So how can I test whether or not my motherboard will be ATX (PS, what does that stand for?) compatible? Is it worth the risk of spending 30 bucks on the case?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to find out what motherboard i actually have... I am running slackware 10.1 so if theres a command thatll let me know, I'll try it out.

Back
Top Bottom