Post your 3DMark01SE, 3DMark03, and 3DMark05 Scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 6600GT too and plays very well on stock settings. I think it's mainly bragging rights or if you want to improve graphics while playing at higher settings.

It does shorten the life to a degree, but not anytime soon. It's like a car. People like me who put superchargers or turbos in their cars reduce the life of the motor, tranny, fuel pump, etc because they are pushing their cars more than what's intended for stock specs. Parts wear out quicker because of the increased force applied to it. But it's not going to break down like next year or that soon. Some overclocked parts lasts for a long time when you do it safely. I wouldn't worry about it if you want to OC your card. I OCed mine and it was fun.

In PC's case, it's the heat issue that shortens the life when you OC it instead of the mechanical wear and tear. If you have adequate cooling and it doesn't peak too high at it's critical stages, your GPU will have a decent life cycle.

i havent ever overclocked my pc. Ive always seen it as my pc can handle anything (touch wood) anyway so why bother.

but there is always that temptation to push it further anyway...

in ur opinion would u say it is worth doing (no pressure)

Well, its more of a mixed opinion on this. I built my machine to handle overclocking so to me, yes it is worth doing.

I've got a lot of fans in my case and CPU temps are like in the mid 40s under 90 some odd degrees inside the room. I have no AC in this house so that's pretty good on keeping the CPU cool. My GPU maintains a nice 52 degrees under the same 90 something degrees in my computer room. I'm not having too much heating issues as you can see. Plus, they're all overclocked. I'm sure you'll end up with a new PC in the next 2-4 years anyways because technology changes so much and you always need to keep up to play the advanced games. Software use more lines of programming which uses more system resources to run too.

Thanx for the advise...sorry to be annoying but do you know any links to a website that will give me simple, factual instructions on the whole overclocking process

Thanx

Ive decided against the idea even though my main use of the pc is games but even so i have have failed to play a game that has not looked up to scratch so i fell my graphics card can handle whats there on the market.

How would u rate the GeForce 6600 GT in terms of being able to handle games?

I would rate that very high. It plays pretty much all games available now. It you do tweak it, it'll be ok. It won't break on you. Just realize that overclocking tends to generate extra heat.

okedokey...hey just wondering (off subject) do you have Grisoft AVG Free Virus Security...i am just asking as i am having trouble with it that can be overcome but alas i do not have the 'know-how'

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom