CD Burner

Try to indicate your OS, burner brand. Yet, if you are running windows XP Pro,try to upgrade your Service Pack to 2.

it should auotmatically install the proper driver. go through control panel and scan for it manually(add new hardware icon).

first off... do they show up in the post when you first start your computer. If not there do they show up in the BIOS.

lurkswithin is on the money ... need to confirm that your cd drive is actually detected in BIOS first, listed on an IDE channel (i.e. primary slave or secondary master). If it's not even showing up in My Computer, you can't very well install drivers for something that isn't there, now could ya?

If BIOS isn't detecting it, then maybe all you'd have to do is re-seat the IDE and power cables to it and try re-booting.

what is the model number of the Sony cd drive you have? Does it say on the cd tray door that is is a cd-rewritable drive?
If you're saying that it reads cd's but your OS is not detecting it as a cd-rw ... I would think that could mean one of two things:
1. It's not a cd-rw to begin with ... or
2. The firmware needs to be re-installed or upgraded. Go to Sony's site and download any relevant firmware for your particular cd-drive model #.

Sometimes this works.
If you are comfortable editing the registry:
Create a Restore point and back up the registry.Open regedit.
Look for;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\SetControlClass.
Key name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Look in the right pane for the
Value Data:[Delete all value data from upper and lower filters]
Note-Do not delete the key or the multi-string values. Delete only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.

Try to update your service pack to 2.it might solve your problem since i had that kind of problem too in the past.

Go in to BIOS and have whatever channel you set it to, to auto detect it. Make sure everything's plugged in right like your data cable is plugged in the right way and not backwards.

Back
Top Bottom