Thermal

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
What kind of thermal paste you would use for a AMD Athnolon. I just got it. I think I have athermal pad with it. But i've been told thermal paste is better. Any suggestions on products? I'd like to buy it locally at a store like office depot, or staples.

best buy has some ... kind of think there all one and the same ... could be wrong though. Just ask for thermal paste/compound. You only need to apply a very small amount and spread it with something like a library card edge or something similar.

Thermal Tape is ok to use. The good thing about using tape is that it is firmer than the paste and doesn't smear everywhere when you put the heatsink on. But it does take a wee bit more effort to mount the heatsink to the chip so you really have to take care.

>edit< remember that it takes a couple of weeks to really see any differences in chip temps after applying a new thermal paste(tape).

I'm not even sure if I got teh paste or the heatskin. Not a clue waht either looks like.

Tape is just that. A flat piece of thermal paste between two removable pieces of hard waxed paper stock. in which you cut the tape to the size needed and save the rest
Paste comes in a small tube like a minaturized toothpaste tube in which you just squeeze out the tiny amount that you need to do the job.
**note** sometimes the paste comes in a sealed clear plastic envelope that you cut the corner off to use it.

Paste or tape...

Paste is good if you have installed before. Tape is better for (no dissing ya) rookies. Normally the tape comes on the heatsink. Just peel of the protective cover and mount the heatsink to the cpu. Don't touch the tape once the cover is peeled off. The oils and acids from your skin can weaken the tape. Same for the paste. Use a plastic card to smear the paste. Cool thing about tape though is you don't have to do all that. Peel and stick. But if you use paste Artic Silver 5 is rated best...

If you got the boxed cpu with the fan and heatsink the heat sink on some amd's come with a preinstalled paste on the heatsink. You just install it as is. Just did it last week. It will be a white pad on the heatsink.

I think the heatskin is already on the CPU. I see some green on the bottom with pins attracted to it. And on the top i see sliver. Is that sliver the heatskin?

Back
Top Bottom