Dear god help me please please

Actually you can copy the installation disc without a problem. It is ok to do that. The issue is that....does he have a legal COA to activate the installation.
Now in saying that there is no match to CD with COA. there is a strong relationship. The installation disc must match the type of License(COA)....retail, upgrade,OEM, OEM Full, and so on.
A OEM license cannot be used to activate anything other than an OEM installation disc.
There is absolutely no way to get around this issue.
So while it is ok to copy the installation disc you must use only the installation disc that matches the COA(license).

are you trying to do a fresh install of windows dingle? what i mean is have you formatted your hard disk? and how are you trying to install windows on to it?

no its not an illegal copy am trying to install it on my dell computer and you know when you buy a dell it gives the you the windows xp cd its like a lurple color and sasys it contasins service pack two on it but it wont read and i used ranish to patition my drive

You have a floppy drive right? You must use a 98se boot disc to load the optics drivers. That dell disc is put in from a Preinstalled OS and when you reformatted you wiped it out and now you must use another program to reinstall the optic drivers to your drive so that it can work. after you get the 98 disckette in and running then you will need to type this command at the A prompt and then insert your disc in the cd-rom and hit enter

A:\ > type this D:\>setup
it should look like this
A:\>D:\setup
it may just take you to the D prompt D:\>
in which case you just insert setup
so as to look like this
D:\>setup

(where D is the location of the cd-rom)

If the cd-rom is not D then try E as sometimes the letter designations is offset by 1 letter.

you need to get hold of a floppy drive dingle, preferably an external usb one, i dont think that dell the clowns put floppy drives in their systems anymore, i work with dell pcs and they are a pain in the butt. once you have done this then let me know. but you still need a full copy of windows xp so that you can install it onto your pc, the dell version is only good as good as a coaster, given the current state of your PC

Eunice's thread was realy handy with the link as i run xp on fat 32 i did not know the xp disk could format to fat just ntfs

k i am going to try to buy a floppy drive then i will do all those command and i will get back here ok thanks for all ur help

Back
Top Bottom