Partitioning Hardrive

Starr

Daemon Poster
I have a 160 GB hard drive if I were to reformat and put Windows Files on one partition and everything else on another. How big should the Windows partition be?

At least big enough for Windows and all your programs. If you plan on installing a lot, then give yourself more room on the primary partition. I give myself like 20 GB primary partition and the rest all used for my video, music, and photo album files. I'm going to need it. It help to keep the primary partition from getting too fragmented because I move personal files around a lot.

xp needs just less than 2 gigs...then you need a few other gigs to use for those "must be installed on C" files. The smallest I have seen was 5 gigs. The normal is 10 gigs.... but each to their own.
IMHO, I don't think you should install on anything less than 30 gigs...reason being that there are a lot of programs that just don't work properly when split between partitions. Especially movie/photo editing programs. M$ Publisher had a lot of issues with this also, same with adobe programs.
and I don't like partitions over 40 gigs.. To me there is just no sound reasoning to have big partitions...exceptions would be a single non partitioned drive of 60 or 80 gigs.

Back
Top Bottom