PERSONAL Alienware TESTIMONIAL/REVIEW

G9

Daemon Poster
Alienware Review

Introduction
You probably know what an Alienware is. Besides custom-building through the black market, these are about the most powerful PCs ever made...

But they're so damn expensive, and most people are careful and cautious enough not to buy these. After all, Alienware doesn't have a store around the block... all computers and parts are ordered and delivered through the internet. Are you willing to take the risks?

For some, the awards that the computers received were good enough proof, but other, more cautious customers would desire more personal testimonials before going into a multi-k dollar committment. This thread is for such people.

What I Have
I bought the MJ-12 7550i for $4500 and here are the specs:

Specs
Memory: 2 GB
Processors: Dual xeon 3.4ghz
Graphics: ATI 256 MB Fire GL 7100 Workstation Graphics
Harddrive: 400 GB 7200 RPM

Memory
Memory is how fast your computer goes. The minimum standard these days are 512 MB... that was the memory of my old computer

512MB to 2 GB isn't much of a speed difference. If you want to see speed difference from a 512MB computer, you should look into 4GB, which is pretty rare. Nevertheless, it is faster, and you will slightly notice the increase in performance.

Processors
Processors are the things that handle your programs and how everything runs. Pentium 4 is the minimum standard these days, and that was what my old computer ran on. Xeon is what the web servers run on, so when you go to Yahoo or Google, keep in mind that the site is being run by Xeon-powered servers. 3.0ghz is the minimum standard, my old computer was 3.2, but the Alienware I have now is 3.4.

Unlike its similar counterpart, memory, the processor speed is noticeable. Processor power isn't really measured by speed... its more of a performance, multi-tasking scale.

For example, the Alienware can run Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash MX 2004, and Dreamweaver all at the same time without much problems... it can also be running a spyware sweep and iTunes full update at the same time with a consistently fast speed.

Graphics
Graphics: This is what powers the display of the computer. 128MB is the minimum, and that's what my old computer had... 256MB is pretty good, but some graphics cards go up to 512MB. Ultra-expensive, though... You have to be careful what kind of card you get, though. Workstation graphics is generally not a good choice for gaming, so you have to do a little research on what's best for you.

The following games all work with the Alienware MJ-12 7550i with 256 MB ATI FireGL 7100 graphics:
1. Halo PC
2. Homeworld
3. Homeworld 2
4. Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
5. Rise of Nations

A game that will not work is Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

Harddrive
Harddrive: This is what stores your information and programs...

Cooling System
I bought acoustic dampening and AlienIce2.0 video coolers, terra green lights. The system is still pretty loud, but not as loud as Dell's XPS Desktop system. The cooling system is incredibly efficient, however... my room is pretty small, and an Air Conditioner running at 60 degrees Faharanheit keeps the room at 75, merely because the computer's cool air intake system is so efficient.

Techincal Support
The technical support is standard, not quite as good as stated on the website, but good nevertheless. It is very hard to understand the technical support consultant, due to a language impairment, but patience is exceptional in this case.

Conclusion

Does it perform well?
Yes, indeed, it performs well and though it dropped short of my very high expectations, it gets an A score, overall.

Is it worth $4.5k?
This question is a little edgy... you could probably get something just as good for half the price, but you'd be lucky to get a computer with the same cooling system. Also, the case is Alienware-exclusive, and it's probably one of the neatest CPU boxes ever created.

Closing
I hoped this helped. It was created to educate you about Alienware systems, whose name is shrouded in glory but whose contents are shadowed in doubt. Good luck!

Good review. I'm sure newbies will take the info with great interest. As you have mentioned, it is a bit pricey and I'm sure there are competitve machines here that can match or exceed the specs of that particular Alienware at a lower price.

For example, the Alienware can run Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash MX 2004, and Dreamweaver all at the same time without much problems... it can also be running a spyware sweep and iTunes full update at the same time with a consistently fast speed.

Wow thats very efficient its a shame that my computer is only 2.66 gHz ... able to multi task basic things such as word processing but not so good at udpating while doing other things.

So far i don't htink that i am able to afford the alienware :( i want one so badly though :(

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

You spent 4500 dollars on a game that can't play Roller Coaster Tycoon 2!? That's either a mistake or HAHAHAHAHAH.

Either way, for 4500 bucks, you can buy FX57, with dual 7800, and 4 gigs of ram and going on, which is much better than the Alienware. The ONLY reason I would ever buy a Alienware is for their laptops, because custom laptops are just painful even though possible. Their desktop prices are so funny, that it's not. For 4500, you can build a EVERYTHING top of the line computer and still have some leftover money for a gumball, I have NO idea WHY you would buy that for that much. If it came with monitors then I can understand but just wow. You my friend are stupid for buying that 4500 Alienware, and that's a FACT.

BanChan said:
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

You spent 4500 dollars on a game that can't play Roller Coaster Tycoon 2!? That's either a mistake or HAHAHAHAHAH.

Either way, for 4500 bucks, you can buy FX57, with dual 7800, and 4 gigs of ram and going on, which is much better than the Alienware. The ONLY reason I would ever buy a Alienware is for their laptops, because custom laptops are just painful even though possible. Their desktop prices are so funny, that it's not. For 4500, you can build a EVERYTHING top of the line computer and still have some leftover money for a gumball, I have NO idea WHY you would buy that for that much. If it came with monitors then I can understand but just wow. You my friend are stupid for buying that 4500 Alienware, and that's a FACT.
Hmmm, at least you've registered that I was stupid by reading my review. Bravo.

And I do agree that not being able to play RCT2 is pathetic.

Even my system that I bought for 800 bucks can play that game, I think your computer is for graphic editing and just a media station in general. Not a gaming rig.

BanChan said:
Even my system that I bought for 800 bucks can play that game, I think your computer is for graphic editing and just a media station in general. Not a gaming rig.
Yeah, its series is titled "Workstation" and is powered by ATI FireGL WORKSTATION graphics...

A-ware is over priced....for how much u spent on that i would have rather got 3 or 4 mod priced computers... just me...or got that from somewhere else cause u know its over priced and they dont use anything special...

Alienware systems are good, I don't think anyone is gonna question that, but they are way overpriced. I'd much rather just build the thing myself with the same parts or maybe even better since you can actually pick them and then get it for half the price. They just aren't worth it, but if you're rich then why not.

I agree it is overpriced
But it has its reputation i guess
The cover of it looks cool with all that neon lighting shining out of its cover.

Back
Top Bottom