hard drive question

jcon891

Daemon Poster
hi, i just wanted to know if there is any way possible to combine 2 hard drives together to make one drive (not physically).

i had a 10 gig in here, and i recently put in a 60 gig but its annoying because there are certain things that go into my 10 gig that i dont want to, and if i move them to the 60 gig i have to go into that drive to open them, so if there is a way to combine the spaces plz help :)

That is what a RAID aray does. to speed up accessing the information is split to be installed half on one disc and half on another and so on. There are about 50 different arrays that can be used. The problem with this is that they have to be the identicle drives so as speeds are matched and the likes and one big down fall is that in some arrays... if one drive goes down then you lose ALL the info. In others ...it is safer as the info can be redily retrieved.

ok thnx

ok thank you for the info. .. u seem to know a lot huh. i think i picked the right forums:D

Your system would have to be able to use raid and that is built in to mobo for that.
In your problem. I bet you added the 60 as a backup and left your OS on the 10. The problem with that is that some progrmas have to be installed with the OS and there is not much that can be done.
I would have installed the 60 gig as master, partitioned it as 30/30 and then installed the OS on the C partition and used the other one for back up or storage. The 10 gig drive I would have reformatted it and used it stricly for a single program
such as picture editing/video editing/ or gaming or the likes.

oooh ok

ooooook i get it noow, haha im just not smart like that, i am when it comes to some things. *and i thought I knew a lot*:eek:

Don't underestimate yourself! Situations like that are speciallized aspects of computing...just because you haven't ran across it means nothing...but it does bring out it's own set of issues also.

Back
Top Bottom