Steam Issues

WEll I have a 6600 with 256 MB of RAM so it isn't that. But it is wierd when I play CS:S my FPS is around 50-100. On all high with a res of 1024x768.

I am not overclocking.

I just downloaded Everest going to go run it after this.

I turned cool and quiet off.

I will try and reinstall Steam I just installed it two days ago (new comp.).

There was one part in HL2 that it would always freeze up. I turned the sound qualityu to low and it seemed to work I played for some time after without a crash. I have an onboard sound card. It didn't seem to help with CS:S though......

Edit:
Temperatures:
Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU 37 °C (99 °F)
Aux 30 °C (86 °F)
WDC WD1600BB-56GUC0 31 °C (88 °F)

Also here is a post from someone on the steampowered forums and how they fixed it. Tell me if I should look into this.

"I fixed this "read memory error" on my system by turning off a BIOS option called "Performance Enhancement Mode" or "PEM" under my BOIS's Advanced tab. The description text for the option was something like "Specially configured 'short-cut' or 'by-pass' when accessing memory, slicing several clock cycles from access times and reducing conventional latency factors…blabla". Add to that description..."Breaks numerous FPS games" "

I think that I figured it out. There was a part in HL2 single player that I noticed the game would crash. Right at that part though these guys started shooting me. So I decided to turn the sound quality in the game to low when playing HL2 I got past that part when it crashed several times before and I played on untill I decided to try the same thing with CS:S. Well, I didn't have as much luck. Then I decided this morning to play CS:S with the -nosound command in the launch options so that there would be no sound. I then played Assault for a half an hour with no crash. I exited then went into dxdiag and I turned the sound accelerator or something to no acceleration instead of high or advanced (don't remember exactly). Well, I just played source for another 30 mins. with no crash. So I think I might have a solution here!

whats the mobo you're using ... you haven't listed it. Perhaps you need to update your audio drivers if you think your problems seem to be coming from that. Is the audio on-board or pci? In regards to the performance enhancement you brought up, maybe a BIOS update needs to happen ... or if you did that as soon as you go the computer, roll it back to previous BIOS? Perhaps the BIOS and audio drivers are conflicting.

*** Edit *** Side note .... maybe there is a steam patch that needs to be downloaded and applied that fixes audio problems? Just a couple of things to consider.

I have a MSI K8N n-Force 4. I have the latest drivers for everything. I still havent done enough testing to determine if it is strictly audio. Although another wierd thing just happened. I was playing Desert Combat (BF1942 MOD) and after a while it crashed to desktop.

I just created a boot disk with mem test on it and I am going to run that later. How long does it take?

Also, what should the temp of my case and CPU be?

Half-life 2 just froze up again so that's that. I think that it is either a heating issue or a RAM issue. Could my virtual memory have something to do with it?

I downloaded memtest and created a boot disk but I got an error when I tried to boot with it.

and you've got the latest BIOS update for the mobo? Here's a link to begin looking for your exact model's bios.

Well, with my mobo software came a MSI Live program that searches for the lastest drivers for your mobo and bios and I downloaded it.

I called my dad at work and he said because it is new (it came two days ago) he said to take out the RAM sticks and put them back in because they might have got loose during shipment. I just did that, so I am going to try it out.

I read the support site from Steam again and it said to defrag your harddrive. I analyzed the drive and saw that it needed defragmenting badly so I did. Half-life 2 froze up again. So I restarted the computer and analyzed the drive again and it said that I did not need to defrag the hard drive but if I view the report I see that some of Steams and HL2's files are fragmented. So should I defrag again?

i would defrag again and see if that works.

btw, how does Halflife 2 run on your new rig?

Well, with graphics on all high and a 1024x768 Resolution I average roughly 60-70FPS. It can drop to around 40 and go up to about 110.

Ok, I will try the defrag again.

Back
Top Bottom