quick question

dbone

Baseband Member
Will it be worth my time and money to set up a network between two computers? I use my laptop at work and on the road for about everything. I also do a lot of video editing. I do not have a DVD burner on the laptop, only on the desktop at home. I am just trying to find a way to move the files from the laptop to desktop to brun to DVD. I am just trying not to put a DVD burner in the laptop. Thanks in advance.

If you need to transfer the stuff ya. it would be cheaper to put a burner in the laptop though.

cheaper for a laptop dvd burner? Aren't they around around $275-$325? Wireless routers (with wired ports) go for $30 and if needed wireless connection adapters for pc's run $25-$50. Under $100 sure beats $300.

Edit: I stand corrected. I did find a site that had some dvd burners for around $120, but at 8X speed (1/2 the speed of a $45 desktop 16X burner). For what model laptop we talking about? Might have some compatibility issues. Still though, router and wireless cards can be had for less.

Ya your right. i thought USB dvd burners were cheaper. so a router would be the best bet.

External DVD's for some reason insist on being way more expensive than they need to be.

Besides, there's a lot more benefits that come from having a home network using a wireless router. IF your laptop has a built-in wireless card, you dont have to sit in the computer room of your house, but in a nice comfy la-z-boy.

If configuring it seems a little overwhelming to you, dont sweat it. It's relatively easy to setup. The guys here can help. Go over to the Networking/DNS forum and read some and ask questions about it. We'll do what we can to assist you.

If you don't mess with putting a DVD burner in the laptop, maybe hook up an external hard drive or some other kind of removable storage to transfer you files to your desktop PC. Then burn it off of there.

That cost more then a external DVD burner. i think he wan'ts to keep the price down.

I wonder what the typical size file he usually works on? If it's like less than 512 MB, he can just get a thumb drive and that is dirt cheap. Video editing files can vary depending on how long they are.

I will be using some larger files. MPEG1 and DV files. I have a lot of extra time at work I do not have at home. I can edit home movies and such with the laptop on work hours and save myself the time at home to spend with the little ones.
Its a Dell inspiron laptop. Not too shabby I guess. Got it through work with the government at a very good price. Should have sprung for the DVD burner.
I do have a wireless card. I am not very familiar with setting up a network at home. OK, I know nothing about it, so I guess I should look in to it. Any other good links to look at?

You can setup Windows to have a direct connection with another computer (ie, laptop or other deksotp PCs). I've tried it before by playing with it and screwed up my PC in the process. YOu may have better luck though.

Here's the link to do that if you want to try. Very cheap to do though:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&sd=tech

I think a simple and small network is what you need.

Wireless network can cost a little bit more and I'm assuming you have Network Interface Cards (NIC) on both computers? You can use a small switch for simplicity and connect Ethernet cables from the back of the NICs on each computer and plug those in to a 4-port switch.

Back
Top Bottom