Static Electricity

NOFX

Fully Optimized
Hey,

I was just wondering if it was safe to put my computer on carpet cos, of static electricity or something.

Does your case have feet on it? or is your case just flat on the bottom. If your carpet is thick and touching the bottom just put a peice of cardboard if your all that worried.

nto really, the metal of the case absorbs it and wont harm any components. Dont worry yourself over it.

Dust is a good point..

As for static.. Your computer components are grounded to your case.. Your case is grounded by your power cord.. Any static will go through your case to your ground.

and if you own an older house the ground from the socket usually isnt that good so watch out for that

I have heard that you can ruin components such as your motherboard if you are working with it and set cards and such on carpets... is this true? seems like if this were the case I would probably have blown out lots of things by now lol

You can put your computer on carpeted floors, but not recommended. Usually a computer desk you buy from a store will have a cubby or some sort to carry your tower in. I just put mine on a shelf next to my desk so the only thing I have on the desk is my flat screen LCD monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Nothing on the floor besides the subwoofer for my Logitech speaker system.

crazyman143 said:
I have heard that you can ruin components such as your motherboard if you are working with it and set cards and such on carpets... is this true? seems like if this were the case I would probably have blown out lots of things by now lol

It depend on the person working on the PC. I have carpted flooring in all the rooms except in the bathroom and kitchen floor. There was no way I'm working in either of those rooms. I built so many PCs right on the living room or bedroom carpet without any kind of damage due to static discharge. You just have to be careful and ground yourself at all times.

What about dust? I'm planning on getting the dust inside. Would a vacuum with a plastic tip work or should I just stick to compressed air?

Back
Top Bottom