Can someone sort me out a wireless LAN?

AuBrEy Online

In Runtime
Okay I live in the UK I have ADSL internet connected via a Speedtouch 330 I have 4 PC's in my room and maybe getting one/two downstairs I'd like to use NAS for movies and music I'd like it so when I have all computers off I can just turn any on without having to connect to the internet (knowing it was already connected) I could have the wireless LAN in my room and have a big long cable trail downstairs?

I'm not too good though with this.

Can someone put me together a kit?

I'd like it to be fast so maybe wireless G ... The computers shared will have Windows XP or 2000 on them.

I don't have a laptop though ... but if I got one i'd like it to know it was welcome into my wireless world.

I do not have any PCI cards so i'll need a full kit with it all .... I think a good idea would be to have it all from one make like Linksys or DLink for compatablly reasons.

Go with Netgear my friend. They are by far the easiest to set up and maintain. The 108MBPS Netgear WG router setup is nice and not all that expensive. It is backwards compatible with 54 standard G and with the new WG 108 standard. :D It SCREAMS and can be split further and has much better signal strength and clarity.

I'm a big supporter of DLink.

Heres my recommendations
Dlink DI-714P+
This router is super nice, You have the wireless and for those computers that dont have wireless you can plug via ethernet.. It also has a port for your printer to make a print server.

DWL-520 wireless card
This is a PCI wireless card to make your computers wireless..

Connect it up and bang.. your all wireless..
Heres how it will connect.
DWL-520_diagram.jpg

I'm not familiar with networking which is why I have a question regarding that picture. Does Computer 2 have to have a ethernet cable attached to it or can that recieve Internet signals (wireless) like the PC on the bottom?

You would think as long as the cable modem or DSL (whatever kind of connection you have) is connected to a wireless router, it will broadcast that signal to all the PCs that have a wireless adapter.

Okay then thanks .... I am off now and when I wake up tomorrow i'll read all this properly! :) night night all!

TRDCorolla said:
I'm not familiar with networking which is why I have a question regarding that picture. Does Computer 2 have to have a ethernet cable attached to it or can that recieve Internet signals (wireless) like the PC on the bottom?

You would think as long as the cable modem or DSL (whatever kind of connection you have) is connected to a wireless router, it will broadcast that signal to all the PCs that have a wireless adapter.

Computer 2 can be wireless like computer 1
They show that because the router I have selected can have a wired computer as well.. I like these with both because some of my friends dont have wireless, so they plug in..

You can take a wireless card and put it in computer1 and make it like the one on the bottom.

When you run the wizard in the router control panel it will ask you for your ppoe settings,.. user/pass for your DSL. this will make the connection "always on".. So when one computer turns on it will have internet.

Back
Top Bottom