Flag Burning?

Vets can burn the flag... Most vets that have respect burn the flag in a cermony. VFW's all around the country will take your flag and burn it for you.

See this is a double edged sword. Catch 22.. you can't ban flag burning, or protesting,, This would go against our admendments that our flag represents.

I too feel it's disrespectful, wrong and anti counrty..
I also feel if some loser wants to burn the flag because he/she doesn't like the way things are going, the US should give that person a one way ticket out..

But we can;t that goes against our "rules".

Most people really don't understand their rights. The talk here is freedom of speech....Every person has the right to talk freely about anything they chose to talk about....TO A POINT. And here is where it stops and should stop. You talk about a person and what he does only to the point of your being able to prove that you speak the truth. If you do not speak the truth then it is called slander and you can be civilly charged for slandering someone. You have the right to publish any written words you wish unless those are proved to be a lie and then you can be civilly charged with libel or plagerism if you took someone elses words and claimed them as your own.
And you have the right to open protest, but only if you follow the rules for assembly as pertaining to your locallity....meaning that you must first obtain the proper permission to hold your protest in a public place.(this has been upheld as non intrusive on a persons right to free speech)<---This is where the public welfare overrides the rights of the individual. Given these as they are, then let us say that you may burn the flag but only in the privacy of your own home and not in a public setting without the proper indorsement of the court to say that it is not in a violation of my rights to do so. What this means is that you, a wannabe flag burner, must prove that the burning of the symbol of our country is within the boundries of your protest...
To me this would be in line with the rules of infringement that is used to govern free speech, freedom of the press, Which you are trying to insists gives you the right to burn my nations flag

lurkswithin said:
Let me ask you this...What would you be protesting when you have burned the American Flag?

I understand the points made here. Some say no it's yours and do what you want with it..

As for your question? depends on what your protesting at the time. could be the war, health care, the president. then list can go on and on.

There are two ways of flag burning. Burning in protest telling people that your are aginst your country's views. OR burning in cerimony.

The way I understand it.. Fold it the properway and burn then bury the ashes..

BuzzStPoint said:
Depends on how it is being burnt.

There is the need if it gets damaged. But burning flags in protests is inappropriate. It should be banned in protests because it is arson.

BuzzStPoint said:
Vets can burn the flag... Most vets that have respect burn the flag in a cermony. VFW's all around the country will take your flag and burn it for you.See this is a double edged sword. Catch 22.. you can't ban flag burning, or protesting,, This would go against our admendments that our flag represents

I agree to your surmise here about the double edge sword....but there is one thing that everyone must be made aware of....Yes the VETs burn the flag out of respect, simply because they understand it's true meaning but also because they must be lawful.
The law is very simple on the retirement of our flag..Either by fire or by burying but it "MUST BE DONE IN A RESPECTFUL MANNER" in a "Small
Privite Ceremony.
Now while this may be stretched to a little more than a small privite ceremony from time to time, it has never been done out of disrespect.

So the comparision is like apples to potatoes....The Law allows for it to be burned but only in a respectful manner and not for public outcry.

Now let us carry that same law to the protestor...(As much as I dispise saying this) Let the protestor burn it for his protest but only in a small private ceremony and not for public outcry...
That should satisfy the double edged sword.

if you buy a flag it belongs to you, you should have the right to do whatever the hell you want to do with your own property as long as its not dangering other peoples lives or the immediate environment. if i buy a $50.00 american flag and i wanna burn it, its getting burnt. its also illegal to rip money but meh i've ripped quite a few $20.00 by accident. the vets fought for freedom and yet they cant even burn the flag in which they fought to protect. without them there wouldnt be that flag but meh america is kinda screwy anyway, nice women though

I agree 100%. And frankly arson is burning someone esles property. Or burning down your own and claimng insurance money thats illegal. But if you go otu and burn a flag and disrespect it then by all means your being rude, but not breaking the law. As long as you don't harm anyone. And if you do well then come the charges.

Back
Top Bottom