Fixing Scratched DVDs

wiktorek01

Daemon Poster
I just got a new dvd and it got scratched up bad! I haven't even watched it yet :(
What is the best way to clean up the dvd without buying those special liquids/tools and whatever. Would strong alcohol helpl anyway???

Yeah, they fill the gaps I think and make it look as good as new.

I don't really liek DVD's though. Yeah they give you great quality, but they don't last and end up skipping after a few views, and you can't stop that either since it scratches it getting it out of the case and into the DVD drive and back usually anyway.

Thats why I support the idea of the Blu-Ray disc being protected by a case so that it can't scratch. I think its a serious issue and shouldn't be taken lightly. Its pretty stupid DVD's didn't have some kind of case like minidiscs...

Kage, that's the same opinion I have. I think Minidiscs are the smartest things in the world. I have a md player and i think every single disc should be like that.

take it to a local music place and ask them if theres any places around that fix c.d's. only around $3.00 cad at the local place around me.

i dunno kage i've watched the matrix reloaded about 20-25 times and it doesnt skip or anything. you just have to be careful with them thats all. the liquid c.d fixers btw fill in the gaps but dont make the c.d look like new, if anything it might get rid of a few scratches but thats about it. makes a c.d play like new again though.

I've done this before..

Do you have any non abrasive car wax? If the scratches arent too deep you can use car wax to fill the scratches.. This is not a perminant fix. But I have gotten a few cds/dvds to play again.

Take your dvd to your local video rental store. they may fix it for a few bucks.

I've gotten this to work about a million times, but if it scares you, eh, don't listen to me then. Boil some water. Bend a paper clip so that you put it through the hole in the dvd, with the information side facing down, bend the paper clip so that it only touches the clear plastic on the outside of teh hole, dip it in the water for about ten seconds, or until you can't see the scratches anymore. It melts the plastic back together.

BigLu said:
I've gotten this to work about a million times, but if it scares you, eh, don't listen to me then. Boil some water. Bend a paper clip so that you put it through the hole in the dvd, with the information side facing down, bend the paper clip so that it only touches the clear plastic on the outside of teh hole, dip it in the water for about ten seconds, or until you can't see the scratches anymore. It melts the plastic back together.

Hmm, interesting...... I'm almost willing to scratch up a cd-r to try it.. Does this work with all cds? or just orginal silver style?

I've gotten it to work on PS2, XBOX, GameCube, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, standard DVSs, everything has worked so far.

Back
Top Bottom