OVerclocking a computer

Ok, first off... nice link per! :D However, I think this requires some personal attention.

Dingle, I do believe that you want to OC yes?

Ok, well then here is how my dear boy. Listen well.

First off, what kind of CPU do you have? If it is a celeron, it isnt worth it. Anything else, go for it. Also, is your PC made by Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway or any company similar in fashion? If so, you cannot OC anything at all!

Next, what type of cooling do you have? In order to OC, you need good cooling. A simple stock fan will OC a little bit, but for a good OC, you need GOOD cooling.

Excellent air cooling is good for a 10-15% OC, and for above 20% OCing, I recommend liquid cooling. For above 50% OC, you will need phase change or pelitier cooling my friend.

Next, who makes your motherboard, what is its highest supported front side bus (FSB) speed setting available, and is your CPU multiplier unlocked or locked?

After you get all these questions answered, we can move on.

You do not need liquid cooling for a good overclock. I have overclocked my AMD 64 3000 by a 10%, and temperature have remained good with the stocked cooling. I need to know what processor you have because this depends on a case by case basis. Also understand the more you overclock your system the less the CPU life span. You may want to take any overclock by increments at a time (starting at 1%, then 3%, then 5%, until you hit 10%). This is what I did. Often you can do it in the BIOS (well at least my Asus board has a good feature involving that).

Beware though over clocking is risky watch for tearing if your overclocking you GPU.

Giancarlo said:
You do not need liquid cooling for a good overclock. I have overclocked my AMD 64 3000 by a 10%, and temperature have remained good with the stocked cooling. I need to know what processor you have because this depends on a case by case basis. Also understand the more you overclock your system the less the CPU life span. You may want to take any overclock by increments at a time (starting at 1%, then 3%, then 5%, until you hit 10%). This is what I did. Often you can do it in the BIOS (well at least my Asus board has a good feature involving that).

ARE YOU ABSOLUTLELY BLIND. DId I not say 10-15% OC AIR COOLING?? I said 20% Liquid! Man..read...

Overclocking has no negative side effects as long as temps are kept in check and voltages are not to high. Otherwise, the silicon wafers can be damaged by either situation and shorter the lifespan of the CPU.

DarkBlade said:
ARE YOU ABSOLUTLELY BLIND. DId I not say 10-15% OC AIR COOLING?? I said 20% Liquid! Man..read...

Overclocking has no negative side effects as long as temps are kept in check and voltages are not to high. Otherwise, the silicon wafers can be damaged by either situation and shorter the lifespan of the CPU.

I wasn't even talking to you. I was talking to him and just making it clear. Calling me absolutely blind? at least I give some damn advice that save people time and money, and something resembling practicality.

for goodness sakes, you insult me here whenever you get a chance. additionally overclocking does shorten the life of components whether you like to admit it or not. You are pushing it beyond factory settings.

Ladys, its not the point about lowering the life span its about the pure rush you to should be spanked. The RUSH is all people want to do it for see how far they can push it.

Back
Top Bottom