Microsoft Optical Mouse lights

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
For those that use the Microsoft Intellimouse optical mouse, does the light on the bottom remain on even when the PC is completely turned off? Mine has been doing that since this PC was built earlier this year. Since then, it has been reformatted three times and all three times resulted in the same thing: mouse light stays on when powered off.

I'm sure it's no big deal, but shouldn't the lights go off too when the computer is turned off?

It is a good supposition. Not true though. In fact, not only does your mouse stay lit up but also all your USB connections and networking cards and practically your whole motherboard. The only thing that goes off is the power to the drives, and fans and ,chip..About everything else still is powered up so as to keep it from weakening from stop and start. Although I beleive this is just a throw back to the old "instant on" garbage theory.
A report was out not too long ago about if the electrical devices actually shut off when turned off...then we could save 35% of energy usage in a year.

Thats pretty...werid...
My mouse light goes off when i turn my computer off and same goes with the keyboard lights as the mouse and k/b goes together...

lurkswithin, thanks for that info, didnt no that...
If that is true then, by jeez thats a *Awful* lot of power being chewed up while the computer is off let alone when its on..seems like such a waste of power and dangerous... speesh being allll the time on really...
If thats what you mean by that..
I just thought when you turn your computer off its off, like everything, expect maybe your modem...

Then why is TRDCorolla's keyboard light still on then and mine is off?

I think theres options to let the device turn off, it should be in dvice propeties or something like that.

Lurkswithin, I've heard that before. That's why you should unplug your computer before opening it.

Now, everyone unplug their computers when they shut them off now. Although I just let mine sleep.

Yeah, some motherboards probably still give usb devices power when its switched off.

Though if the device still works after you unplug the socket from the wall, you have something spooky going on...well...or you you have an interuptable power supply :p

DEMON INFESTED PCs I TELL YOU!! Lmao!! Yeah, if at ever you unplug it and it stays on and then the screen turns red and starts to drain blood down it, you know you need a priest! LMAO. Or... if your gfx card gets up and walks out of the AGP/PCIe slot and tells you to shove it, you know your PC has issues.

KAge, I will try unplugging the socket when I get back from work and school tonight to see if the mouse lights are still lit. If not, it could very well be something wrong with power management.

That's the only thing I see lights on is my mouse. The keyboard is off because when on, the Num Lock button always come on green. When the PC is turned off, the light goes off there.

All the fans in my system goes off normally as the lights, hard drive, etc. I do have one thing I may be suspicious on and that is the fact that I have my mouse and keyboard plugged into a KVM switch. If that's the case, then how come my PS/2 keyboard shuts off and not my PS/2 mouse? As a lot of you know, Microsoft mouse comes with a standard USB mouse with a PS/2 convertor in which I am using.

I checked the Device Manager and nothing worth noting or suspicious. It detects my mouse as PS/2 compatible and everything checks out including the USB component. My printer runs on USB and that powers down nicely.

Ok I just had to try unplugging my PC now because curiosity got to me. Sure enough, the mouse light went off after a few seconds. The motherboard is still drawing power after complete shutdown which sucks a bit. One thing for sure after learning this, I will not get a Gigabyte motherboard again.

I had a heck of a hard time trying to get my SATA drive going in the beginning because there were no drivers shipped for that, the motherboard isn't doing what it's suppose to when powered down, and now I'm just being picky when I say this: the PCI-e board completly blocks one of the chipset fan (could be the Northbridge chipset, I don't know).

Yeah, some must do that...weird though :s

And yeah, its true some motherboards are poorly designed, though Gigabyte aren't usually bad that that..weird, oh well :p

I always unplug from the wall anyway. Don't like to keep it in all night when powers off because I know the computer must be getting some in some way, for example LED's in my ABIT stay on, the leds to say the bios code, and the guru clock does too. The mouse doesn't stay on though to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom