Installing RAM

computer_noob89

Solid State Member
I have a question about what is the best way to do this (grounding). Now from some people I've heard to shut the computer down but leave it plugged in to the surge supressor which I would do but my computer sits on a carpeted floor so I figured I would unplug it all and move it another room but then I heard its not good to let it "float". So should I risk having more static electricity by installing it on the carpeted floor and leaving it plugged in, or unplugging it and doing it on a hardwood floor and letting it "float"? Thanks.

lol I haven't ever heard of problems arising from letting your computer "float". Just move it onto hardwood or a table or something and make sure everything is turned off, then snap em in.

You always wanna be on a hard surface (Wood, tile, ect) when installing new stuff.

Yes, it is always best to work on tile floors or hardwood floors to prevent that static buildup. BUt if you have to work on carpeted floors, make sure you unplug everything including the power cord from the back of the power supply. Open up the case next and as a rule of thumb, I alwasy have one hand or my arm is touching the metal chassis of the case. That act as ground. Before handling any component, get rid of that access charge by touching the metal part of the case. Then handle component with care. You can also wear anti-static wrist strap too if you want to invest in a few dollars at your local computer store.

switch of the computer at the mains but leave it plugged in, then remove the lid from the case. before you handle any components touch your computers chasis or a radiator to disharge any static. also be sure to handle the memory modules by the edges and avoid touching the chips.

Back
Top Bottom