Deep Impact Mission...

press conference...

NASA tv will air a press conference at 4EDT 3CT 2MT 1PT Roughtly an hour away. Sad to note the high res camera was slightly out of focus due to some sort of malfunction. BUT the JPL team can clear up the images by desmantling the digital data the images are made up of and recompiling them. Couple of days and we're gonna get our socks knocked off for sure.
The good images are stored in flash memory and are being downloaded at around the same speed as a dialup modem. Estimates range from 12 to 24 hours to get all of the images and spectral data down.

GOOD DEAL PEOPLE. VERY WELL DONE...

NOFX said:
sounds interesting, i scanned over the link, what are they doing?
Sorry about the double post. But I'm really excited.
What they did was to drive a washing machine sized proble in to the comet at 23,000mph or roughtly 6 miles per second. The impact released the subsurface material so it can be imaged and spectrally analyzed. It is beleived to contain the building blocks of live here on earth and how things got started in our solar system. The ESA is planning on landing a space probe on a comet something in the not too distant future. Now that I got to see.

This is really exciting.. I love NASA (and their counterparts that assist).. and I think I'm going to post one of those exciting, beautiful images off their website as my desktop image.

They do a lot of good work.. this for example is great for scientific exploration and discovery.

Charchris said:
Umm DEEP IMPACT is a movie, i gues sthey are doing it for real this time :D

Uh not really. In fact what they are doing is totally different then the movie... we aren't going to get hit by this comet.. this is a scientific research project. that movie was so bad too.

the whole beginning of the solar system shiznit makes you think what was before the beginning of the solar system

I think a big part of the, "why aren't we going to the moon anymore" question can be answered by another simple question...

why bother? We've been there, done that took the samples done the test, left foot prints, and a load of junk there...

whats the point in spending a load of money to send others there to repeat whats already been done.

I think a manned mission to mars will be a long long way off...

IMHO a new launch platform has to be made first,(something like an international space station?!?)...
at present on of the biggest costs is actually getting outside of the eraths atmosphere. in a rocket...
however space shuttle can be launched from the back of high altitude aircraft etc... maybe once the costs have gone down they'll start sending people off to the stars?

That's one thing NASA's looking into. First priority as you have mentioned, is getting the International Space Station (ISS) built. NASA is also looking into a new space vehicle to be developed besides using the shuttle so that probably is the next step. Moon colonization would have to be the third thing (IMO) to do on NASA's goal because it can serve as an extra facility besides using the launch pads and mission control on earth. Easier to conduct missions and reduce use of shuttle resources by launching from the moon or the ISS instead of from earth all the time.

I hear the moon has resources we can possibly use on earth to replace certain fossil fuels. Mission to Mars is a project proposal in which NASA is planning right now. Maybe in the next 30-50 years before this will even start to happen. I'll die before space travel reaches pass Mars probably. Those are the times in which I like to be born right now so I can live longer to see what the future holds for space travel. I wonder if it will be anything at all like Star Trek, eventually? Maybe in the next few hundred years or beyond.

Back
Top Bottom