External Hard Drive Problem

poleary2000

Beta member
I have a Maxtor One Touch II external hard drive that is used in conjunction with my Windows XP computer. I used it for quite some time with no issues. I was even able to plug it into a Mac to transfer files. No issues. However, I had an issue with the drive and had to format it while it was attached to my Windows XP machine. Now, it can not be written to on a Mac. This is because my Windows machine formatted it as a NTFS and Mac wants it to be FAT32. All of this worked straight out of the box and before the formatting.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take the drive back to the original factory settings; allowing me to use it on both systems?

Thanks,
Patrick

You can format it to Fat 32 using Xp or W98, just right click the disk in My Computer and click format then select FAT 32, or right click My Computer under Xp, click Manage, find the drive and format...

Usually they are shipped with FAT 32 (external drives), to make them compatible with W98, XP and Mac, and also gives you the facility of running it just out of the case...

Back
Top Bottom