newb needs help

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
hi everyone im new at this forum and im gona be ordering a custom comp in the next few days ive had intel comps since i can remember so now im goin to amd :) im going to get an amd 64 3200+ with the asus A8N SLI mobo but one thing ive noticed is that all the amd mobos say that the highest speed ram it accepts is ddr400 is this true? or can i get faster ram? i was looking at some ram and i wanted your opinion should i get faster ram like ddr500 or ddr400 with better latency?(2-2-2-5)

thanks for your help!!!!

i havn't seen any MOBO's that suppout AMD CPU's bin able to support anything higher than ddr400. There must be one out there though. If the MOBO says it can only support up to ddr400 then thats the highest it can go. they don't lie,lol.

lol yes i know they dont lie its just that i read somewhere that if u did put faster ram in then it would use it at 400MHz but make it easy to overclock without putting any stress on the ram

No no.. the motherboards can support DDR500, just not DDR2. It will default to 500MHz, and the timings will be correct. In some cases, a new BIOS flash may be required, but that is no big deal, the RAM will still RUN. The timings will not change all the way up to 500MHz. If you have the money for REALLY GOOD PC4000 DDR500 like Crucial Ballistix, then go for it. The A8N SLi from ASUS will support that, but I wouldn't use that board, as its SLi is dual 8x PCIe instead of the dual 16x that the ABIT FATALITY and AN8 Deluxe are. Go with ABIT if you want to OC like crazy, ASUS nForce4 boards are nothing but trouble in my opinion, being that I have gone through 2 of them already and refuse to buy another one.

thanks for your help and thanks for the tip on asus boards i was deffinately going to get one but now i know better lol

its quite difficult for me to get an ABIT board would the ASUS AN8 deluxe be ok? or is it a bad idea to get one?

if you plan on overclocking the cpu or if you are an overclocking freak get 2-2-2-5 ddr 400 ram or get ram that is rated higher than ddr 400. when you overclock the cpu the ram speed goes up too.

all the sli boards ive looked at so far say that when they go into sli mode they go from 16x to 8x do all the sli boards do that?

Back
Top Bottom