HD/CD-ROM Trouble

Marshillboy

In Runtime
My 10+ year old gateway 2000 pc (previously with win 95) has a little problem. Because it was having boot sector trouble, I had to reformat. Ever since, I have been having this problem:If I boot from win 98 floppy (with cd support) It dosen't recognise the HD. If I boot from the HD, it dosen't recognise the CD-ROM drive. I have tried copying the CD-ROM drivers onto the HD, but then this happens:I boot from HD, at the windows 95 screen, it prompts me to make a choice between safe mode, with cd rom support, or without cd rom support. If I chose either with or without cd rom support, it says to insert Windows 98 boot disk 2. Boot disk 2???!!! I didn't know there was such a thing. Huge thanks in advance, Mars Hill boy.

Umm...

Did you delete the partition, create a new partition then format the drive? Or did you just format the drive? If you just format it still has the win95 partition on it and that is not compatable with win98. Start over from the win98 floppy and do a fdisk. Delete the partition then create a new partition then reboot and go back and format. Make sure you have the win98 cd in in the drive. When the format is completed at the a:> prompt type in setup. This starts the win98 install from the cd.

I decided to replace the HD. I have reason to believe that it is damaged, so I will format and fdisk it then try to install an os.

Back
Top Bottom