New Computer, No Sound

Be aware when you format you will lose ALL the data on the hdd and have to reinstall everything.

Sweet. Do you think my dad's would install onto my comp.? Because I read that it only goes on one computer...But since I already have XP on mine, i thought maybe it would be considered a "Upgrade" or sumthin. Also, will I notice a difference besides the SP2? It seems like they're about the same. THanks,
Derek

This is correct. Why are u mentioning that? He just installed Windows not too long ago, I am sure it is not a big deal.

Are you kidding about losing all data? Well, luckily I haven't installed a ton yet.
Derek

No, reformatting destroys all data, it basically erases everything off the hard drive and then you put it back on. :D

Oh well...I haven't done much...Thanks for all the help. Before I do this though, are u sure that was the problem?
Thanks,
Derek

have you tried a system repair? Or downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. Which would be the thing that i would do before i reformated..(it's such a pain). You can also buy a sound card they're not too much and it would give you better sound anyway.

How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

LMAO, this isn't a driver issue, it is a SYSTEM FILE ERROR. The file system is corrupted, that is what that error means. He should reformat... i mean, doing a system repair using the chkdsk /r would maybe work, but with a fresh install... i mean.. more things are bound to happen. BUT W/E

Back
Top Bottom