Hard Drive Question

jim1

BSOD
i went up in the attic and found a old 6gb hard drive out of my old comp that broke a few years back and i asked in this forum if it would work if i stuck it my new comp as extra storage and all replies said yes.
but the computer i took it out of was broke as when i switched it on it powered up but screen was blank so i tried my freinds monitors but still the same.
could this old hard drive be broken as it has a pin missing on the back where you connect it to the actual computer itself and is this the reason my old comp didnt start up?
Thanks for all replies.

Depending how old your hard drive is and depending how new your computer is, it might not boot because it may be too old

Sorry it took so long to reply.
Yeah maybe its too old there not expensive to buy now anyway so i might just buy a new one.
Thanks for replying.

Yeah, its probably best to, though this could be the fault with the old one which you explained yourself:

"could this old hard drive be broken as it has a pin missing on the back where you connect it to the actual computer itself and is this the reason my old comp didnt start up?"

That will probably be the reason since the pins are there for a reason you know :p Since these would be used to carry the data across to the motherboard

It could do a nice paper weight, or you can open it and frame it to display the inner platter...

Wait, if there's only one pin missing, and it's situated at the middle and top row, you're HDD's fine. It's ust not made to work with your comp specs

Though I wouldn't expect it to even plug up then if it was the wrong connection, especially if its not IDE.

Man what the hell..... it doesn't matter if the pin is broken... I have a hard drive and the pin is already broken and it works well. check your old computer to see if that one works.. don't blame it on hdd...

No, dont have a go at me...a missing pin is an important thing you know, and the fact your works without one doesn't mean another would with a pin missing in another place... The pins are important to the hard drive you know...to work!

Back
Top Bottom