Got a big problem.

Blind Melon

Solid State Member
Ok.. well yesterday we had a crazy lightning storm. I came home to find that our living room computer's monitor was all crazy. Its color was not right, so my friend fixed it by just turning off the monitor turning it back on. Then, I noticed our internet was down. I saw the modem still had status (where it's actually connected to the cable company) up, but the PC connection was down. This was with all 3 computers (including the living room one). My brother found out that his computer didn't function. It turned on, but didn't give him video. His motherboard said FF (because he has the epox board and it tells you the error), but I'm not sure if it helped him. He tried clearing BIOS and that didn't help, so today he's going to go piece by piece and see what doesn't work, and what does.

Anyway, back to the internet problem. I was messing around with the other two computers, and first thought it was the cat 5e cable that was broken. So I tried clearing the BIOS's to maybe refresh the onboard lan (which both of them have and use[d]), and that did nothing. So I remembered I had my friend's old computer downstairs, got his netgear card, put that in the living room computer, which made the computer lag like every 3 seconds for about 5 seconds. I couldn't access the internet on that one, so I put it in my computer. My computer started up and it worked (as you can see). Now, I thought maybe because I still had the onboard lan enabled on the living room computer that maybe that's what was causing the lag and not being able for me to get on the internet... well I turned out to be wrong. And another thing I encountered... we use a router for the internet, and I can only plug in the cat 5e cable into the 4th port for the internet, the other ports do not light up (I figured maybe the other ports had gotten fried or something). I even got out our old hub and it was the same thing. Why is this? The old hub was perfect before we had stopped using it.

Know how to fix any of these issues, then please post!

Thats a big problem,lol. try not using the router and hooking it up directly with each computer.

I posted this before, but If you bought it somewhere, don't take it to them or to the manufacturing company and say there was a storm and it probably got struck by lighting.

Oh and I found this quite funny:

which made the computer lag like every 3 seconds for about 5 seconds.

MarxSoccer said:
I posted this before, but If you bought it somewhere, don't take it to them or to the manufacturing company and say there was a storm and it probably got struck by lighting.

Haha yea, I knew that would. I guess you got what I meant, but I meant for every 3 seconds the computer was stable, it would then lag for 5 seconds, then 3 seconds, so on so on. And yea, it's a big deal because my computer is my life :'( hahaa. Anyway, I have gotten the living room computer to work, but I only have one network card, so I can only do one computer at a time. The next problem would be why my router only has the fourth port as the only port that works. The other ones don't light up, and just want to know maybe there is something I can access that will reset and help this problem. I have tried: hitting the reset button on the router (the 1-4 ports light up, but then again I cannot use them), I have unplugged the router many times, I have tried different cables in the ports, and have tried messing around with the settings on the di-604 website thing. Still nothing! Any help would be most appreciated.

MarxSoccer said:

I forget where we bought it, and I doubt I'd get a refund/exchange or anything because we've had it since 2002.

Is there a reset button on your router? If there is, try that. If not you could open it up and look to see of any sign of fried components.

Back
Top Bottom