Too much space equals slower computer?

Not at all you could have a 10 million gb hdd (metaphorically speaking of course) too much space on a 5400 rpm hdd will slow it down ^_^ but hey 5400 rpm on any hdd will do the same.
So yeah what you heard was 'fubar'

of course the exact opposite is true,

too little space on a hard disk ill slow it dow as files will be fragmented t fill the available space.

I heard that the met office has a 1 petabyte hard drive, 1 million (or billion, cant remember) gigabytes, god I'd love that. Surely it wouldnt slow it down, if anything keep it faster

just think about running a defrag on that......you could fly across the world eat dinner every contry and come back and it would be finished haha.

BTW that was a joke. Dont think im to stupid, just a little. :)

Well...

I have 3 soon to be 4 80gig drives on my system. Runs like a champ.
A lot of factors figure in when using a hard drive. Like is it dma mode 5 or 6. These are the fastest second to sata. Is it 5700 or 7200rpms? That figures in also. Moving the swapper file to a secondary drive will speed things up. If the drive has to look at the swapper and find or write something in a short time frame that will slow things down.

To be short a large drive will not slow your system down if you use it wisely. Having a second drive will also speed things up and increase your storage size to boot. A phyiscal drive not a logical drive.

I have two 120GB drives and I barely use any space... RAID 0 Array also increases your systems speed as it strips the data off each individual HDD quickly. RAID 1 slows it down, so RAID 10 is perfect for servers or people who want data backups without losing speed. :D

Back
Top Bottom